Think the new movie "Wild" will have any impact?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Think the new movie "Wild" will have any impact?

Post by ERIC »

link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2305051/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've heard from several people now (one being Hobbs who posted back in July) that think this new movie is going to give a big boost to interest in (i.e. traffic to) the PCT and JMT. Thoughts?

Either way I am excited to see the movie.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Think the new movie "Wild" will have any impact?

Post by AlmostThere »

Having read the book based on a rec from another hiker, I'll take a pass on the movie. It isn't about hiking but about her, poor decisions she makes, her hand wringing about her mother, and how she somehow finds -- something? from hiking that changes her life. Was not impressed and found her annoying, as I listen to people with those kinds of issues for a living and felt like she owed me my customary hourly fee at the end.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Since the movie played at the Mill Valley Film Festival and Witherspoon attended, she gave publicity interviews to the local press. In one interview she said carrying a 40 pound pack was the hardest thing she'd ever done.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

As someone who has experienced the mountains from earliest memory and began my backpacking at the age of 10 in the 50s,I don't understand the "transformational character" of trips in the backcountry. To me it is simply where I feel most comfortable. As AlmostThere I have no interest in this movie and as long as these people who might be seeking to "transform their life" stick to the PCT I am good with it, but they better stick to the trail. I get pissed off enough when a little hidden valley, off trail is packed with Outward Bound Folks doing their "solo."

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ERIC

Re: Think the new movie

Post by ERIC »

AlmostThere wrote:Was not impressed and found her annoying, as I listen to people with those kinds of issues for a living and felt like she owed me my customary hourly fee at the end.
Funny!

My interest in the movie is more more than anything else about the scenery/cinematography and its portrayal of the sport of backpacking.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Too bad it won't have the Sierra Nevada- if it is faithful to the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hobbes wrote:Invariably, most PCT hikers who make it all the way to Canada consider the (high) Sierra [Cottonwood to Tuolumne] and the northern Cascades as the highlights of their 3-4 month long trek. (Interestingly, many also really enjoy the desert section.)
You ask if the "movie will have any impact?"...
IMHO, what brings me back backpacking is that area between Kennedy Meadows south -> Kennedy Meadows north...basically the Sierra. Since the book reads that the author "skipped the Sierra" as being too strenuous...WTF?
Most here at HST would probably skip the desert section, maybe most of Oregon too (a lot of thick forest). The high granite is where the altar lies; the rest is outside of the church.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"The high granite is where the altar lies; the rest is outside of the church."

Right on Bruthah :D
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Unfortunately, the movie's release will probably increase traffic on the longer thru-type trails, like the PCT... maybe not so much the Muir though. Even though they share a common path for ~200 miles, two different types of hikers involved: one the short-termed, financed, adventurer, the other a good half-year escapee.

All last summer, in and out of Tuolumne, the most common answer to the ol' "Where you heading?" question was, "Doing the Muir!" For whatever reason, the JMT, with all its history, mystique, (availabllity?) is today's trail of choice as a do-able vacation adventure option...and can be done in only 2 - 3 weeks.

World famous (many foreigners met...), romantic, idealistic - Most arrive as Sierra novices, usually overloaded, still possessing a city attitude... their strict agendas written down, obviously plans pre-made and well-dissected...most actually clueless. BTW, They usually show up in Yosemite Valley's BP camp - trail naive... sporting tall, too heavy, tricked-out backpacks and wearing expensive headlamps set to "stun". At this point, most are bassholes: some will learn soon enough... or fail.

3500 Muir permits were issued Sobo this year from Yosemite...the high season's trail quota is now saturated. The movie (BTW, not seen) could have given us nice Sierra exposure (if she hiked the Sierra - which she didn't), but the only result of the movie might just be even harder-to-obtain JMT permits. Full is full, movie or not.

The PCT is a different animal. Where once less than 300 gnarly individuals, (seasoned trail veterans, well versed pros, well-tested/proven, minimalistic, lightest/best available gear - trail runners and bounce boxes, food drops and long miles)...started out near the Mexican boarder and headed North. These were IMHO, the trail elite. Trail Angels and well-wishers/entrepreneurs soon joined in by providing aid/water/lodging/whatever along the 2800-mile odyssey, impressed by the hiker's karma, endurance, available funds, and other "Jermiah Johnson" type self-sufficiencies.

Last year ~3000 individuals set off at the AZDPCTKO...many possessing the same attributes as stated above but with the addition of all too many free-loaders, trail bums, druggies, and alcoholics - often searching for something not there...many possessing some good (oft borrowed?) gear but having little experience or money...intent on scavenging their way along on a hop-scotch, 5-month, freeload party.

This is where the movie could effect the numbers.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I remember the first time I really had a chance to talk to a PCTer. I was amazed that it was kosher to leave the trail - sometimes for days - to go into town, re-supply, get cleaned up, eat out at restaurants, sleep in a bed, etc. I also couldn't quite get my head around the notion that strangers ie "trail angels" actually set up shop @junctions to cater to thru-hikers; it's called "trail magic".

Like others who are ready to yell "get off my lawn" on a moments notice, the idea of getting support or leaving the trail and re-joining civilization in the middle of a trip is a foreign concept. To me, you saddle up, pack in, do whatever you do **on your own**, hike out and head home.

There are, of course, plenty of people on the PCT who follow this ethic as close as possible. However, with its recent rise in popularity, the emergence of a "rolling party" aspect has been gaining popularity. In essence, outside of the JMT (which we regard as 'normal' backpacking, but PCTers see as the longest section without towns/re-supply points/trail magic), it's only 3-4 days between towns and/or trail angels.

Therefore, if you're a reasonably in-shape 20-something, all you have to do is hike 3-4 days before you hit another spot to hang out & party. This trend is what is threatening to bring down the entire support edifice. Tales of cigarette butts, empty beer cans, trash, etc has been percolating on the grapevine.

The bottom line is anything that is fun can be marketed. It happened to surfing 55 years ago; it will be interesting to see if UL thru-hiking becomes en vogue to the point of wrecking its core attraction.