Yosemite High Passes Loop...anybody done it ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Yosemite High Passes Loop...anybody done it ?

Post by The Other Tom »

I read a blurb in BP magazine about this loop in Yosemite and Ansel Adams Wilderness. Looks like the TH is Lillian Lake ?
Anybody done this hike ? Any comments on the scenery, difficulity, etc ?
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'm signed on with a few people at thebackpacker.com to do a high passes loop starting on the 1st of July (dates may change if there's lots of snow in early July again this year). I'm going to try and do Red Peak and Merced Peak along the way because they aren't far off the trail. We are starting at a different trailhead than Lillian though. I wonder if this is a similar loop. If anyone else is interested in the trip, you can sign up here (It looks like it will be a small and friendly group):

http://thebackpacker.com/trips/trip/1137.php

If that link doesn't work, here's what the trip is like:

Day 1: Quartz Mountain TH (8250 feet) to Moraine Meadows (8750 feet), 6.7 miles

Day 2: Moraine Meadows to Lower Ottoway Lakes (9750 feet), 8 miles

Day 3: Lower Ottoway Lakes to Turner Lake (XC) (9500 feet), 8.5 miles - On day 3 I'm going to try Merced and Red Peaks, so I might not make it to Turner Lake that day, which means I'll be doing a long day on Day 4 all the way to Rutherford Lake to catch up with the group.

Day 4: Turner Lake to Rutherford Lake (9750 feet), 9.4 miles

Day 5: Rutherford Lake to middle Chain Lake (9100 feet), 8.1 miles

Day 6: Middle Chain Lakes to Quartz Mountain TH 4.5 miles
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Yeah, that's it. thanks. I wasn't sure about the TH.
Apparently no one else (on this board) has done it. Let us know how it works out.