June 2013 Glen Aulin /Waterwheel Falls TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

June 2013 Glen Aulin /Waterwheel Falls TR

Post by oldranger »

We'll it is the end of 2014 hiking season so it is time to start with my 2013 trip reports. During the previous fall, before we knew that there was going to be another year of abysmal snowfall I decided it was time for Kathy to see Waterwheel Falls. I put in for the lottery for the first weekend the HSC would be open. And we got it. Actually there weren't very many people who put in for the lottery as later in the spring my cousin Gary was able to get in for the same weekend?

This trip was to be first of my annual Sierra marathon of trips so the logistics were somewhat complicated. Drive 2 vehicles down to Mammoth, and leave the 4 runner with markskor. Spend the night in Mammoth with a superb dinner at convict lake with Mark and Kathy, then drive to TM for 2 more nights of acclimation for Kathy. Cousin Gary showed up the second night. The next morning we took the shuttle to the w. end of the meadow to take the "fisherman" trail down to meet the trail at the bridge that crosses the Tuolumne.
IMG_5951.jpg
IMG_5959.jpg
After spending the night at the HSC we headed down to Waterwheel falls.
IMG_5973.jpg
Due to the lack of winter snowfall,the falls were not up to their full potential.
image.jpg
Bored with the slow pace of his much older cousin, Gary took off the next AM.
image.jpg
I spent the day fly fishing which caused tendinitis to flare up in my right shoulder (which has plagued me off and on ever since--getting old is a b-tch but beats the alternative).
IMG_6005.jpg
That night we gave Gary's dinner away to a thru hiker, trail name Prophet. We would meet up with him 2 more times that summer. He would spend two nights with us in Bend when he passed through on the PCT and we would spend a night with him in Vermont during our late summer early fall cross country road trip.

The highlights of the trip were the after dinner sunsets viewed looking down the Tuolumne River toward Wildcat Point.
image.jpg
Our return hike out was cold an drizzely. The we missed the shuttle and had to wait a half hour in the rain for the next one. The next day was about the same so we headed down to mono lake and did touristy things before heading up to TPR for dinner and Pie a la mode.

The following morning markskor showed up in the 4 Runner, Kathy headed home and markskor and I headed off for the Annual Old Fart gathering.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldranger on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: June 2013 Glen Aulin /Waterwheel Falls TR

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote: Drive 2 vehicles down to Mammoth, and leave the 4 runner with markskor. Spend the night in Mammoth with a superb dinner at convict lake with Mark and Kathy, then drive to TM for 2 more nights of acclimation for Kathy.
FYI, Before departure, Mike took Kathy and me to the Convict Lake Inn, (wow!), a 5 star establishment, a few miles down the road from Mammoth. Just when I am almost convinced hiking with the old fart has no appreciable benefits, he surprises me (again) with generosity and great food. (God knows he cannot trail cook a lick.) Sigh, maybe best to give him a few more hiking seasons as my regular backcountry partner...maybe...Could do worse.
oldranger wrote:]I spent the day fly fishing which caused tendinitis to flare up in my right shoulder (which has plagued me off and on ever since--getting old is a **** but beats the alternative).
Notice how he sets up a dire situation where he has a good excuse for his not catching fish on our later adventures... Whines constantly - (not really too bad actually) but Kathy did pull me aside before our heading out and made me promise to watch out for his "sorry ass" - her words. (He is getting a bit senile...sometimers?) I do like Kathy so I guess I'm stuck with him.
oldranger wrote:The following morning markskor showed up in the 4 Runner, Kathy headed home and markskor and I headed off for the Annual Old Fart gathering.
Awaiting the next report as the Annual Old Fart trip (usually well-attended but this year just the two of us out, looking for big trout - as usual) turned into some of the best fishing ever encountered off-trail Sierra. I guess hanging with Mike can be slightly better than hitting myself with a stick.
Actually, it was aces!
Mountainman who swims with trout
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thanks for posting the trip repot. I enjoyed reading it. It sounds like you had a blast in Yosemite. Too bad the falls were not as full as usual. They can be spectacular when in full bloom.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I am bit confused about the logistics on this hike. Isn't it an out-and-back? Why did you need two cars and a shuttle?

We hiked to Glen Aulin as a day hike in June. Here are a few photos. But we just parked on the road, hiked in and out, and then picked up our car and drove back to our base camp...

Unicorn Peak from the trail:

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Paul,
Of course the trip is out and back, though of course we could have continued down to Pate and out at White Wolf. Taking shuttle to w. end of meadow takes two miles off the trip in and keeps you off the dusty trail except for the last mile. Two cars because Kathy had to drive back to Oregon while I had three more trips in the Sierra before returning. She won't do off trail anymore so I get stuck with markskor on my big trips.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Got it. I was having trouble with that shuttle business.

Yes, you can hit that trail (it actually starts at Pothole Dome) and take it right over to the river, Much better route than through Tuolumne Meadows...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963