Dam on the upper San Jaoquin

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dam on the upper San Jaoquin

Post by rlown »

Eric,

What are your thoughts on groundwater banking w/o monitoring/metering Agriculture pumping? Seems we have that with above ground water feeds today. Not so much with the farmers freely pumping groundwater.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

40 bazzillion dams on the forks of the SJR already, what's a few more? That place is jacked. (unless you're upstream of Mammoth Pools, then it's great!)

Helped with some of the research for salmon restoration on the lower SJR, not exactly promising future down there either...
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Eric,

What are your thoughts on groundwater banking w/o monitoring/metering Agriculture pumping? Seems we have that with above ground water feeds today. Not so much with the farmers freely pumping groundwater.
Because of my job I have to be careful about what I say publicly about any of this (sticking to what I know to be facts). I can only point out that A) groundwater banking activities are already monitored and reported, and B) the Groundwater Sustainability Act of 2014 requires that all pumping (agriculture included) must be metered within the schedule set forth by that legislation.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Water infrastructure evens out the effects of flood/drought cycles that are normal for California. Read your history. Before these structures, for example, Sacramento flooded regularly. This is a complex issue. There are good dams and bad ones; good water banks and bad ones. I wrote feasibility studies for large water projects before I retired, and the general public has little idea of what goes into these projects. The Sierra is nature's "dam", snowpack, holds water and releases it slowly. Global warming is putting this essential natural process at risk. Be glad that someone is actually trying to figure out how to mitigate this problem with water infrastructures. A few more dams and water banks are actually needed. In drought periods there is no "cheap water". Farmers pay a premium for water in a drought and sustain large economic losses. I do not buy that they are the "problem" or evil.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

never meant to imply that farming is evil. Pretty much the life blood of California. Just wanted to see if the amount pumped from their wells was monitored. If we pump the aquifer back up only to see it depleted again in an unregulated fashion, that would be bad.

I live in an unincorporated section of Sonoma Cnty, and everyone here is on a well. All w/o meters.

Whatever the approach, more "storage" is needed, especially if we keep building the sprawl of housing like we seem to be doing. Even if it's personal storage systems built into the housing or recycled water systems for reuse.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Is reclaimed water used for irrigation of crops at all?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There was a story on the local paper discussing the concept:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/home/26781 ... ave#page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're doing it here.

from page 2 of the article:
To preserve ground and surface supplies, the county has also been expanding its storage and delivery of recycled water for growers and ranchers.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

sparky wrote:Is reclaimed water used for irrigation of crops at all?
Yes.

Ironically, the Central Valley has been recycling its water for decades historically out of necessity (not a lot of options for where to dispose of it) while this is a relatively new turn of events for coastal communities (traditionally disposed of either directly or indirectly to the ocean). Of course I'm generalizing, but on the whole this is what has been the case. Most of the medium to large communities in the CV have exchange/sale agreements with water/irrigation districts for use of the reclaimed water. Its used in various ways - most commonly for groundwater recharge or for direct irrigation purposes. But you're beginning to see reclaimed water used in other ways as well. Bottom line, increasing water scarcity is forcing all California communities throughout the state to implement more efficient ways of reclaiming treated water. It's a very good thing.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Water infrastructure evens out the effects of flood/drought cycles that are normal for California. Read your history. Before these structures, for example, Sacramento flooded regularly. This is a complex issue. There are good dams and bad ones; good water banks and bad ones. I wrote feasibility studies for large water projects before I retired, and the general public has little idea of what goes into these projects. The Sierra is nature's "dam", snowpack, holds water and releases it slowly. Global warming is putting this essential natural process at risk. Be glad that someone is actually trying to figure out how to mitigate this problem with water infrastructures. A few more dams and water banks are actually needed. In drought periods there is no "cheap water". Farmers pay a premium for water in a drought and sustain large economic losses. I do not buy that they are the "problem" or evil.
While I personally agree with what you've said, I'll add that the rhetoric oozes thick from all water interests out there. Take everything you all read with a grain a salt because IMO few if any articles or sources of information are without bias - especially right now when emotions are running so high.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I believe what Eric said to be soooooo true. I need to point out that I am neither educated formally nor informaly in politics. However what little I know of politics tells me that Eric is correct.