TR 3 OGULS Raymond, The Nipple and Markleeville

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR 3 OGULS Raymond, The Nipple and Markleeville

Post by Gazelle »

10/24/2014 3 OGULS

Raymond peak 6.5 miles 2152 elevation gain 3:40 hours
Started at the Pacific Crest trail by lower sunset lake cold and windy but I knew that was going to be the case. I wanted to do it before Blue Lakes road closed for the winter. Took the PCT past the wet meadows turn off went a little further to a pass, to where one is supposed to take a old road to the right I could see the road on the left so looked around on the right…nothing so went up the trail then on the right logs across an old trail very hard to see but once on it can tell it was a road, supposed to follow it to the end, not sure that I did..maybe I just headed towards Raymond ended up climbing then traversing to the right then up a chute with a small use trail. Got to the small saddle with no easy way to the top dropped off the other side and traversed under the summit block to an easy way up, signed the register took some pictures, it was cold and VERY windy.
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
Looked down the side I came up for an easier more direct way, not sure if easier or more direct but just dropped off west from summit block straight down traversing right some back to the old road and out. Saw no one except when I got back to my car 1 guy hiking on the PCT.

The Nipple 2.43 miles 1003 elevation gain 1:25 hours
I parked on a little dirt road where you can see the Nipple
1003.jpg
went cross country and gained the saddle, got on the PCT and followed it, I think way too far turned right and made for the ridge then to the top. Signed the register. The way down I just went straight off the peak for the PCT and back the way I came. By the time I hit the ridge the wind was howling almost could not stand up at the top. Awesome views.
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
1004.jpg
Markleeville Peak 2.69 miles 1390 elevation gain 1:49 hours
Parked on a small dirt road on the left as you come in from blue lakes road if I was to do over I would go a little further up the road and just pull off and park, almost anywhere works. Paralleled the road to reach a kind of ridge then headed up heading for the saddle between Markleeville and the peak to the right of it. There is a use trail at the bottom of the scree under the peak to the right just work left to the saddle and then up to the peak. On the way up met some hikers they said they could not make the peak due to wind which they estimated to be 80 MPH, I did make it with the help of my poles, beanie, gloves, and windbreaker and concurred with their assumption of 80mph! I could write in the register as there was a small wind break. Descended pretty much straight back to the car as fast as possible happy to be out of the wind. Did some research later and found that on Red Lake Peak not to far away there was indeed 80-90 mph gusts with sustained 40-60 mph winds in the time frame I was on the peak!
1007.jpg
1008.jpg
Anyway awesome day with 3 OGUL peaks I have done 41 now.

Kristine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cefire
Topix Regular

Re: TR 3 OGULS Raymond, The Nipple and Markleeville

Post by cefire »

WOW!!! Some intense wind eh? :eek:

Do you have to pass through private land to reach Markkleeville? Or at least through some fenced areas? I couldn't figure out exactly where to park when I went through. It sounds like you'd recommend parking near where the shoulder of the peak meets the road?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Cefire
I would park anywhere you can after about 7.5 miles from the Blue Lakes turn off, go a little past the meadow/valley there is a very small hard to see dirt road on your left I parked in there but probably better to drive a little further to a turn out on right there is also a dirt road on your right one could park there also just cross street and go up working to the left a bit to the summit. I did not cross any fence or private property I think that ends in the valley. Hope this helps really easy peak. The wind sucked had read 35 mph gusts did like that idea but went anyway oh well beautiful day anyways. Thinking Mokelumne tomorrow before it maybe snows this weekend.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Yuberiver wrote:Thinking Mokelumne tomorrow before it maybe snows this weekend.
Kristine,

"WOW" is right. You really are knocking out those peaks. Stay safe! Mokelumne is a really long day hike.

Rumor has it we will be getting some nasty weather on Friday.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Yes it does trying to get the harder to snowshoe ones now!
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Just wanted to say thanks for the Beta, we did Markleeville last weekend - what a view from up there! Certainly much more scenic than I was expecting :cool:
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cmon4day »

What's an OGUL?
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

cmon4day wrote:What's an OGUL?
This is a question I have been asked several times by several different people. I have created this post to answer the question:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12028#sthash.qRAE0VTq.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Essentially for us this is a list of peaks near our home, most of which can be climbed in a day. We are working on completing this list primarily to stay in shape for other exciting activities! :D :littledevil: :D :nod: :eek:

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.