Spotlighting in National Parks?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spotlighting in National Parks?

Post by seanr »

I hike in the dark both on trails and cross country. Obviously it is sometimes easiest with a light, which often reflects eerie looking eyes that almost always turn out to be grazing deer. Timing, terrain, and flora often allow moonlight to provide more than ample light to my adjusted eyes. If I want to check out wildlife, I stop somewhere for awhile, remain quiet, let my eyes adjust, and listen. Absent moonlight, starlight and trekking poles are almost always enough to keep me from tripping or placing a foot poorly, so I often leave my light sources in my pack and use my senses. I don't always have him along and he's not allowed on national park trails, but bringing my yellow lab and his heightened sense of smell helps me stay on existing paths where they are faint, or through deep forest cover where it is usually very dark. Hopefully my senses, endurance, and agility won't fade very quickly through middle age. Maybe using them helps them stay sharp longer.

As to things sneaking up on you in the dark, I suggest getting used to it if you are lucky enough for it to happen and not worrying much about it if you want to do what you are describing. You want to see animals, right? Sure, be aware of the remote possibility of scenarios that could involve permanent harm to you and how to respond, but if you remain consistently wary of such things you might be better off at home rather than overreacting or facing an unnecessary confrontation in a place where you are clearly more of a guest.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure some types of night vision goggles are decent yet inexpensive.

Also, aside from those adapted/maladapted to and attracted by high concentrations of human visitors in the busiest areas, national parks aren't always home to more animals nor far superior scenery than other public lands. However, I'm aware that encounters with potentially dangerous humans (hunters, poachers, drunk target shooters, pot farmers, etc.) are probably more likely away from the most tourist friendly areas, yet near remote roads where seeing wildlife is also likely. At the same time, due to strategy and luck, I can't say I have had an encounter with humans that ended with me in great danger.