Spotlighting in National Parks?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Spotlighting in National Parks?

Post by InsaneBoost »

What exactly are the rules on spotlights in National Parks, and or Yosemite/Sequoia? I love wildlife and would love to be able to see what the animals are up to at night, and wouldn't think this necessarily is a bad thing, is it? As far as harming animals and such?

My grandfather used them a lot on the farm to check out the fields and things like that, and I am by no means comparing National Parks to farms, but thought it might be something cool to do.

I also like shooting photography as some of you know, and sometimes that requires the night sky, which needless to say in the park is dark, so it'd be nice to be able to scan a field or wherever I'm at every so often just to make sure nothing is trying to sneak up.

I've read through the rules, and unless I overlooked it, I couldn't find anything saying you can or cannot use them.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spotlighting in National Parks?

Post by rlown »

If you've ever seen the show "Wild Justice" (CDFW wardens looking for poachers), there are many episodes where from the sky or road, they look for "spotlighters".

Even though not illegal to use one when NOT hunting, It would be a reason for them to ride up behind you with the reds and blues flashing to see if you are armed, and what your intent is.

For a definitive answer, just call the parks and ask them. Probably be a lot quicker and more accurate to hear it from them.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Yeah definitely have seen that show. Know all about the hunting stuff because of my grandfathers farm. Busy right now, hence the asking on here, but I'll give them a call later for sure.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Here's the official word from Yosemite:
Spotlighing wildlife is illegal in Yosemite National Park because it disturbs wildlife (36 CFR 2.2e).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:thumbsup: Thanks for checking!

Probably means other parks as well. But, remember you have headlights.. which work really great until that deer or bear decides to jump in front of your vehicle.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Confused...(as usual)...just never heard the term.
What defines Spotlighting? Is it just shining a bright light around at night?
Do you have an offical "spotlight" per se, or does any uber-lumen device, blasted up in the trees qualify you as spotlighting?

As reported above - supposedly illegal in Yosemite but when taking an offical "midnight stroll with a Ranger", many lights were used?

Interesting statement made at one of those Ranger-led, Tuolumne campfires...
"80% of all life Sierra is nocturnal (or crepuscular)."
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

a "spotlight" is generally a very high powered light that needs a good battery source like a vehicle. Much different than a headlamp or flashlight. A spotlight generally is uber-lumen, like one million candlepower. I carry one in my truck, but only used on lakes when logs are laying in the water at night (lake Spaulding), or trying to find a campsite.

pretty sure my light could melt your tent even in the backpackers camp in Tuolumne. :D

Law enforcement will check with you if you use one anywhere.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RooPhillip »

rlown wrote:pretty sure my light could melt your tent... :D
Haha! That's a funny image, Russ. Gotta say, having a light like that would have come in handy a time or two on a couple trips I can remember. :)
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

rlown wrote:...
For a definitive answer, just call the parks and ask them. Probably be a lot quicker and more accurate to hear it from them.
If you call the main info line you will probably just get a volunteer or some half-trained seasonal. The answer they give may or may not be accurate. Using "the lady on the info line said it's OK" will not be a valid defense against a citation.

Ask for a Ranger or LE. Then you may get a more reliable answer. Even then, another Ranger may interpret the regulations differently and cite you in the field.

Make sure you lock down the legality before you go out. If you get cited for a fish and game regulation instead of a CFR you could be suspended from ANY fishing or hunting anywhere in California for a period of years, and any other state that honors a CA F&G suspension (most). An acquaintance of mine got caught fishing in Pyramid Lake, NV after he was suspended in CA and after receiving a verbal OK from some clerk on the phone in NV his suspension did not apply to tribal lands in Nevada. She was wrong, and now he has a probation violation in CA which cost him his job and a possible lifetime ban on fishing/hunting.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The human eye adjusts to low light quite well if you stay away from artificially bright lights. I would simply choose a moon-lit night and go sit somewhere to observe wildlife. I would think that shining a spotlight on wildlife would disturb them to the point that their behavior would become un-natural.