Yosemite entrance fee increase

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite entrance fee increase

Post by Cross Country »

I wish I had to pay 30 dollars per visit (it would mean I´m a lot younger than I am).
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Here's what a search for National Park Service Spending data found:

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/budget.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/upload/FY_2014_greenbook.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2014 greenbook is 540 pages. It should provide any wonks out there hours of reading enjoyment.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
apeman45
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by apeman45 »

I'd like to know what cities have 10's of billions in surpluses so I can move there.

I have no problem with a 30 dollar entrance fee and I'm not rich. Yosemite needs more rangers to protect it from the hoards. I see so many people breaking rules and no one there to do anything about it. I'm a part owner of Yosemite and I'm sick of people abusing it. It's a special place that needs protecting. The back country needs help too. I've seen people cutting trees at 10,000 feet for firewood.

There were nine free entrance days this year and those will continue. A locals reduced rate would be nice but if I was a local I would just buy the annual pass. I'm lucky that I live just under 3 hours from Yosemite so it's a no brainer to get the annual pass. We could gouge foreigners for 50 bucks or so since they are very heavy users but I'm not crazy about that.

There are other cool areas in California. I get a state parks pass every year which I think is 120 a year versus 80 bucks for the National Parks pass so the feds deal is still a great deal.

30 bucks to be in Yosemite? Totally worth it for me. Maybe they should just charge more to go to the valley. I rarely go there unless it's on the way to a trailhead.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'd like to know what cities have 10's of billions in surpluses so I can move there
The city of Manhattan once had over 1 trillion in surplus although I don't recall what year that was. People have worked over the years to expose the comprehensive annual financial reports due to the data showing very different things than what is being told. Even back when Orange county filed for bankruptcy the report showed they had 10 billion dollars in surplus.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A set-amount entrance fees is regressive. It is easy to say $30 is little if you have extra income. It certainly discourages the average low-wage family from going. As for annual pass, many hard working young families do not get more than a week vacation a year so will not go more than once in a year. I do not feel that high fees should be used to limit use. I would rather see numbers of visitors restricted to a set number per day, if over-use is the problem.

As for spending $100+ on gas to get to Yosemite, not true to many people who live in the central valley. If you live in Merced, you can even take the bus to Yosemite. I hope they still let you get in free if you take the bus.

With so few choices of highways across the Sierra, making Tioga Pass an overly expensive option makes a long journey for some who do not even have any desire to linger in Yosemite. When I first moved here, you could drive through at no cost.

I would also like to see different choices in passes. There could be a reduced fee for off-season. And I also think the fee for US citizens should be less than for foreign visitors. Ultimately I would like to get back to more funding from general taxes.

As for inflation, the average working stiff is making less than he did 20 years ago, adjusted to cost of living.

I now have a senior pass. Not all seniors are rich. Before I got my geezer pass, I would buy an annual interagency pass. It is a good deal if you go out a lot.

Personally, given the numbers of visitors I see in Yosemite, most are quite responsible. Some need some education on minimizing impact, but for the most part the "problem visitors" are a small percentage of "bad apples". The main problem is too many people in a small area (Yosemite Valley). The more people, the more even a small issue regarding individual impact becomes a big collective problem. Speaking of impact, I think if you read historical accounts, the visitors of the late 1800's and early 1900's were hardly leave no trace. I agree there is an over-crowding problem now, but I do not think raising fees is the answer.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I wish they would not even allow cars to enter the park. The whole mindset of cars in the valley needs to change.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

GreenhornBackpacker wrote:By many metrics, seniors in this country have the most disposable income and yet they pay only $10 for a lifetime pass...
Although some seniors have fair amount of disposable income, most don't. Many live SS check to SS check, barely making ends meet.

There are many non-retired who have a large disposable income, also. Yet Bill Gates pays the same fee as Joe Paycheck. There is no practical way to means test an entrance fee.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Yep bought annual passes for many many years, feel I've earned the senior pass...come Jan!:)
If the money goes to the parks and not the general fund...I have no issue.
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;