Yosemite entrance fee increase

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite entrance fee increase

Post by Cross Country »

I would bet that Rosevely and Muir wanted the park entry fee to be $0.
I´m not complaining about a fee, just expressing my opinion.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

No extra fee needed to enter...with Senior Pass :D
Just show the card, (They sometimes do ask for ID) - and drive right through.
BTW, welcome back!
Mountainman who swims with trout
GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

By many metrics, seniors in this country have the most disposable income and yet they pay only $10 for a lifetime pass.

The increased fees also make the $80 yearly pass a better bargain.

All in all though, $30 for whole car full of people for a week of fun in the most beautiful place on earth is a pretty good deal.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Thank you very much for the ¨welcome back¨
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

gary c. wrote:I'm one of those that believe our national parks and forests belong to everyone and that access should be free to the public. At the same time I understand that heavily used parks also have exceptionally high maintenance costs. Why shouldn't the people that actually use them pay something extra to visit? I know that everything does not run perfect in Yosemite but every time I go there I am impressed with the care, organization, and services that the park service provides considering the amount of people that visit there. Lets face it, there are a lot of people with out any care, consideration or respect abusing our national parks. If it takes an extra $10 for the parks dept. to continue to protect and provide I'll pay without complaint. If it's just another way for the politicians to squeeze more money out of me to use somewhere else that is something different.
Well said. I feel the same.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Looks like I will do more sneaking into parks early and late like I have in the past.

Even the 20 dollar fee might not seem like much to some but it can be the difference between someone being able to actually go to the park or not. My dad and I once ran out of gas coming back from Death Valley because one of the booths happened to be open that day and took our last 20 dollars.

I can also recall at least one Yosemite visit being so tight on money we were only able to do it by going in and leaving when the booth was closed.

I love the statement about inflation though. Wouldn't it be nice if I could give myself a 50% raise due to inflation. F&*k the U.S. government...
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Get an Inter Agency pass for $80. That's what we did every year for many years until we could get a Senior Pass. With the raised fees, if you enter Yosemite or SEKI more than be 3 times a year, it will save you money. And you'll be legally entering the park, not sneaking in. We would not have National Parks and wilderness areas without the federal government.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Between SEKI and Yosemite, Pinnacles, and using the IA pass as a parking permit in SoCal where it can substitute for the adventure pass... $80 is a deal. Saves me a lot of money every year. By March I would have spent 80 in admission fees already.

Also some of the BLM properties take the Interagency - one low elevation area within a half hour's drive will take the pass instead of their day use fee.

No supervision, and we would have no wilderness. The hoards already cause too much damage - can't begin to imagine the fires that would rage and the trash piles not to mention the poaching, that would be rampant otherwise. Some of the local anarchists already haul around bolt cutters and take full advantage of public resources - there is a huge difference between people who are responsible and understand that public property does not mean "I get to do anything I want" - the public is also responsible for protecting and maintaining. Until we can banish selfish jackasses to some deserted island, I will happily fund and volunteer in the federal lands.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I'd like to see much greater support given to the National Parks, but regressive taxes are not a fair way to do it. The guy making $60K after taxes earns enough in about an hour to pay the $30 entrance fee. After taxes, the guy making minimum wage has to work about 6 hr. (Note to tax denialists - I'm talking about all taxes, not just income tax.)

I'm not totally against user fees, but they shouldn't price people out of their right to enjoy what is supposed to be available to all of us. Unfortunately, we have redefined our priorities since WW2 (favoring empire and endless war), or at least our politicians have, and the National Parks are toward the back of the federal budget line.

Congress to the National Park System and the average guy " :moon: "
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

The senior passes are disgusting. Completely unfair.

These high fees definitely discourage a lot of people from going to the parks, especially people with kids and limited income---who should be encouraged to enjoy our parks!

Somehow raising fees doesn't count as a tax increase. I don't get it.

Sorry for my ill temper. :)