TR 10/11/2014 west desolation ogul peaks

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR 10/11/2014 west desolation ogul peaks

Post by Gazelle »

10/11/2014 1 day solo 4 peaks Red, Silver, McConnell, and Tells 16 miles 4000 elevation gain/loss, 9 hours

Drove from Donner Summit 4:30 start to Georgetown to the Van Vleck trailhead arrived 7:15 got Desolation day permit at trailhead started 7:30am. Around the locked gate down the road to the first dirt road on the right with a post sign for both the Highland trail and red peak trail followed the dirt road past the Bassi creek trail sign on the ground, a little further came to a small trail with two posts no sign took out the gps to figure out if this was my trail it seemed to be so off I went hoping it was correct, knew it was when finally reached the Desolation wilderness sign continued on for what seemed forever to finally reach the turn off to lake #3 did not go to the lake as it seemed easy to go up the grassy ramps to the saddle. Latter to find out as others have that the first peak you come to is not the summit and there are some nice knife edges to traverse to get to the summit, not too difficult though. Maybe coming up straight from lake 3 is a better way? Amazing views! Signed the register and was on my way
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
Traverse to Silver peak starts with some down climbing, a bushwhack, and around the right side if the small bump to the summit took about an hour.
1004.jpg
Signed that register and again on my way to McConnell Peak I went more west side than east side did see the small lake on the east side only when reached the saddle, seemed easier that way to me then up the ridgeline took about an hour signed the register and like others noted it was not the high point, made my way to the high point and anything that might be the high point.
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
Now on to Tells the hard part of the traverse with some class 2/3 ledges dropped down the east side quite a ways then traversed over thought an easy way was to go lower then traverse but could never go lower so just started on the ledges under the gendarme must have done something right as had no difficulties except one harder move upwards. My theory was don’t go too low or high and popped out on a notch then stayed on ridge or on the left side of the ridge to the saddle with what may be the Tells peak trail followed use trails up to the summit looked for register everywhere could but find one. 1hour 20 minutes for traverse.

Then headed down the use trail which I promptly lost but just went towards Forni Lake
1007.jpg
met up with the trail and hauled ass out of there back to the car by 4:30pm drove to in and out burger in auburn then home. Awesome 4 peak day thanks to Bob Burds, Kyle Breens and Petethousandpeaks.com for directions but as always things look different when you are out there,

Kristine 37 OGUL peaks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: TR 10/11/2014 west desolation ogul peaks

Post by Vaca Russ »

Kristine,

WOW! You are quite a real athlete! I know this territory well. I have hiked to Lake #3. I have stayed at Forni and have climbed over the ridge between McConnell and Tells. "16 miles 4000 elevation gain/loss, 9 hours"...that is quite impressive.
Tells.jpg
When I read Kerry's report it was obvious he almost bit off more than he could chew. He must have read the report of Batman and Robin (Bob Burd and his trusty sidekick Matthew) and thought "OH, yeah...four peaks in one day!"

He forgot he wasn't a super hero like Burd!

Seriously, you commented in the past that you "are a women, not that it matters". Well, I think it does matter. You could be quite an inspiration to young ladies everywhere who are considering such a challenge.
Yuberiver wrote:Awesome 4 peak day thanks to Bob Burds, Kyle Breens and Petethousandpeaks.com for directions but as always things look different when you are out there
And this is the reason we post our reports. It is always a good thing to share information! :nod:

Keep up the good work knocking out those Tahoe Ogul Peaks!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Russ
Thank you for your kind words! When I first started doing peaks 2008 I found burds trip reports and thought he was amazing, tried to do them as he did with little success now I am finding that to do his routes is a challenge but doable it is great to have online descriptions. I do wish I could trail run to make things a bit faster but I have a fused ankle which makes that next to impossible I am just glad I can walk these miles and take in the beauty around me! At close to 50 and in the best shape of my life!

I think I may go back and backpack to some of the lakes and explore more of that part of desolation it is beautiful. These peaks were really fun

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Awesome TR Yube!!!