Suggestions for 1 week, easy cross-country trips?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestions for 1 week, easy cross-country trips?

Post by alpinemike »

I agree with Balance. That is a great route that is straightforward and fairly mellow terrain. Another route that you might consider especially if you're interested in seeing quite remote areas is going into Ionian Basin. You could start out of North Lake and go over Lamarck Col and meet up with the JMT then go South in Ionian via Wanda Pass. Explore that area for a few days with relative navigational ease although the travel through the sharp rock could be annoying.. but all in good fun! Then head out via Black Giant Pass on the other side and maybe even bag Black Giant if you're interested in getting an awesome view. You could exit either via Lamarck Col again or go out via South Lake (Bishop Pass). The South Lake option is a bit longer but puts you through some astounding country with terrific views and allows for exploration of Dusy Basin which is easy cross country travel.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I second balance´s notion.
During 25 years I went 500 days and I thought that was a lot. You´ve done 600 days in 4 years. I´m impressed with that quannty. After my first 4 years my destinations were mosly cross country (hence my HST name). Wow 150 per year. That´s really a lot.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

PS, my trips were for fishing so I don´t think I´m really qualified to express an opinión for your trip.
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shtinkypuppie »

Thanks for those suggestions. I have long been salivating over some Ionian Basin /Davis Lakes /Darwin Bench trips. I will definitely try to lay out some trips.

For those who asked about my schedule, I'm an RN. I live on a shoestring and work part time, so during the summer I work every other weekend. That allows me to do two and a half week long trips per month June-Oct, plus some shorter winter trips.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

Our Davis Lakes loop was definitely a good introductory cross country trip: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;