rain gear

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

rain gear

Post by don norton »

Does anyone have any suggestions for light weight rain gear (coat and pants)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I use Marmot Precips
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

This topic came up a while back...I used pretty much the same stuff now as I mentioned in that thread.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

trailblazer wrote:This topic came up a while back...I used pretty much the same stuff now as I mentioned in that thread.
Probably this thread ? viewtopic.php?t=1047
wingding

Post by wingding »

I have precips that I use for my day hikes - especially in the desert where things get ripped up, but for longer trips or trips and when I really think I'll get stuck in the rain I carry lightweight goretex paclite rain gear - I have a the Alpha SL jacket and pants made my Arteryx and like them a lot.

After several sets of precips I have found that they tend to be more water resistant than waterproof or it's just that the waterproofing wears off fast. I have treated them with waterproofing stuff, but that still doesn't seem to make them completely waterproof.
Charles2
Topix Acquainted

Rain gear

Post by Charles2 »

Untill my last strong Arizona Monsoon wind/rain storm in the Grand Canyon in August, 06, I used a poncho and rain chaps (total weight was 10.5 oz). During it's last use, the poncho darn near killed me; I was walking a narrow, cliffy trail above the Redwall and almost got blown over the edge.

I now use a Red Ledge Thunderlite WPB rain parka at about 12 oz over a pair of home made silnylon rain chaps. I also carry a sort of kilt of silnylon to cover the small gap between the jacket bottom and rain chaps tops and use it if it is really coming down or blowing hard. The "kilt" is about 18" long and my waist circumference plus six inches around with a light elastic in the upper hem. The whole assembly (jacket, chaps, kilt and stow sack) weighs about 14 oz but is dryer and safer than the lighter poncho system.

The rain chaps will sweat up a bit behind the knees but are otherwise well ventilated. The Thunderlite has pit vents and vents on the chest and doesn't sweat up unless it is really cold.

To keep the gear in my pack dry, I use trash compactor bags and put anything I need to keep dry in the TC bags. A lot of my gear is already in small silnylon stow sacks so it is doubly protected. I keep the pack under my tarp or in the tent at night to dry or to stay dry.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

oops, already posted.
manuelrodriguez

i will find one!

Post by manuelrodriguez »

Snow Nymph wrote:I use Marmot Precips
I will find one like that!, is it good?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Re: i will find one!

Post by Snow Nymph »

manuelrodriguez wrote:
Snow Nymph wrote:I use Marmot Precips
I will find one like that!, is it good?
I've been happy with it, I have a few in different colors. I just did a search and bought another one! :lol:

http://www.nextag.com/marmot-precip-jacket/search-html
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;