October Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: October Backpacking

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is the long dark nights that discourages me most in October. Just too much tent time. Cold is fine as long as it does not get cold at 5PM! We are going to do the "Great Eastern Sierra Drive" starting next Wed., staying in our new travel trailer and day-hiking and fishing. The tentative plan is Markleville, Bridgeport, Bishop, Lone Pine- then either backtrack or go around the south end and hit Sequoia and Yosemite on the way home. This will be a new experience for me -light and warmth in the evening. I just hope all the fall colors are not gone by the time we go. Now I just have to worry about snow on the roads.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Tom_H wrote:...3. SPOT, sat-phone, GPS, etc. can be valuable assets if snow does come....
I have never considered those things as last-resort emergency lifesavers. They are toys that are interesting and make life a bit easier, but not essentials.

My emergency backup gear is a signal mirror, whistle, and map/compass, with frequent practice to keep the skills sharp.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I used to backpack 30 - 40 days a year from May to Sep. I took 2 trips in Oct. to the Kern River at 5K.
It was still too cold and not enough daylight for me. It just felt like I was trying to prove something to myself and I have enough of that in the other parts of my life and those without feeling so cold.

Everyone is different. Enjoy yourselfs.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Cross Country

Welcome back!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rrrice
Topix Novice

Post by rrrice »

Just back from a short trip into Sabrina Basin. This is by far the latest in the season I've ever gone into the backcountry. I had read this thread before going, so was mindful and prepared for of all the potential issues for a trip this late in the year. The issue I was most concerned about was how I would tolerate the cold. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. The only time I felt very cold was after getting up in the morning. I didn't feel cold during the night at all. The difficulty for me was the long night in the tent. Not that enjoyable. On the positive side the weather was beautiful and we saw relatively few people. There were quite a few day hikers probably due to the good weather and the fact that it was a weekend. Just saw one backpacker's camp from a distance. If we could have timed the trip for mid-week I doubt we would have seen anyone. If I ever go on another trip this time of year I will make it for mid-week.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I really like long tent nights - it seems like the only time I get enough sleep is when I backpack, but I don't like the short days in the fall and winter. If I could only have long days and long nights, it would be perfect. I also pack audiobooks. I have eight apple ipod shuffles; so I can pack 8 books if I want too. I think they run about 15 hours each and weigh almost nothing.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

KathyW wrote: I have eight apple ipod shuffles; so I can pack 8 books if I want too. I think they run about 15 hours each and weigh almost nothing.
"The new adventures of Sherlock Holmes" My favorites.. 1940ish but I like them. A half hour each.

I prefer to try and sleep though.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

One thing to do during long nights is night photography. Long exposures and light painting. Running around and waving a light frantically while shutter is open helps warm up. :)

To maximize the use of daylight during late season trips, I get up way before sunrise, eat breakfast in the dark, and start going half hour before sunrise, when it is quite bright. At least this is the intent - sometimes I end up late. Sleeping bag is usually a bit moist, and tent sometimes too, so I dry them out at a later stop. I find campsite around sunset. Sometimes later, usually unintentionally. Moonlight helps. So instead of spending time enjoying the campsite location, I stop mid day in nice spots on the way.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.