Finish this sentence: "I can't believe I haven't been to..."

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Finish this sentence: "I can't believe I haven't been to..."

Post by limpingcrab »

Tehipite Valley.

I've topped out Tehipite Dome, been down to Simpson Meadow, looked in from the Gorge of Despair and fished halfway upstream from Yucca point. I've got it surrounded but IT DRIVES ME NUTS THAT I STILL HAVEN'T SET FOOT IN TEHIPITE VALLEY!!!!
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Kaweah Basin
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

giantbrookie wrote:I have been all over the Sierra but, there are still some loose ends and certainly some that are "can't believe I haven't...).

1. Lakes Basin (ie the one in Kings Canyon NP). Really can't believe I haven't been there yet.
2. Pinnacles Creek drainages (had on list for very long time and will try to take of this next year).
3. A southern E. side lake of some recent notoriety.
4. Tehipite Valley
5. Central Emigrant Wilderness (ie Emigrant-Huckleberry etc.)
6. Northern E. side lake of quite a bit of recent notoriety--will be visited with entire family next summer
7.Benson-Smedberg Lake area (have been fairly close, to Tallulah/Doe etc.)

There are other loose ends, and a few summits, too. I still find many new places to visit that are not on my "can't believe list...". In 2014 I fished 10 High Sierra lakes I've never fished before, bringing my High Sierra personal "lake list" to about 700 lakes. There are still a whole mess of lakes that are on my "want to do list" but don't qualify for the "can't believe I haven't been to" list. I find that trip planning for a given year is mix of exploring new places and going back to favorites, with more of the latter than the former.
I can't believe there are actually two places I've been to that giantbrookie hasn't (Lake Basin & Tehipite Valley). ;)

My own list would include (off the top of my head) Cloud Canyon, Tilden Lake, and the Kern headwaters.

Kaweah Basin isn't on my list because my never having been there is sadly all too believable. ;)
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by jessegooddog »

Before yesterday, I had never hiked Lundy Canyon during the current heart stopping blazing fall colors. Bishops Creek, Rock Creek, McGee, June Lake - all gorgeous, but Lundy made me cry.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Almost everything south of Bear Creek Diversion Dam on the western side including the Kaweahs and Mineral King and everything north of Yosemite, east and west.
The clock is ticking faster each year and the trekking season is so short!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

One thing I'll add about this subject is that it isn't enough to merely pass through areas any time of a year, any time of a day, to experience what these places may be renowned for.

The average first time visitor to Yosemite Valley in September may think they have seen what it is about. True they see all the grand cliffs and formations. But all waterfalls are long dried up or minor trickles. The pretty greenery and wildflowers of May and June are desiccated and uninteresting.

Likewise someone hiking to Thousand Island Lake in September is going to only see a drab brown vegetation landscape with none of its glory of mid July with its famous peaks aesthetically adorned with melting snows. Or even someone day hiking that same lake in mid July that hikes from the trailhead seven miles distant up 2k feet to the beautiful areas of the outlet, that arrives early afternoon then leaves two hours later is going only view the big peaks in boring back lit lighting.

Or if the hard core backcountry fisherman that visits a famous lake renowned for large golden trout 2 strenuous days backpacking out from a trailhead just happens to be there during one of the Sierra's occasional blustery gales that blow all day and night, one is not going to have an experience to rave about.

So just having goals of visiting icon and famed destinations isn't necessarily where real satisfying value lies experientially.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

...Forgot to add, everything on Jimr's list, and for the same reasons.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

As true as Dave's post is, passing through once is better than not passing through at all. There are only so many days in one's life, of those days, there are far fewer free days to go out (go in, rather) and enjoy the Sierra. One could spend every day of their life traveling through and still, never see a lot of what there is in our beloved range. Not even Rogue has seen it all, although he is trying very hard.

With that said, it comes down to a series of choices we have to make each season. Personally, there are many places I've never been. Many places I've been through, but will likely not pass through again. There are a few that I've been to several times and may find myself there again. What to do?

As I get older, I have been thinking about gearing up for earlier trips with more snow, wildflowers, weather, etc. I will probably start with places I've been before so there is familiarity.

I want to go back to Tehipite Valley. I have some peace to make there.
I want to go back to Ionian Basin (been there once) and upper Goddard Creek (been there twice)
I've been down Goddard Creek to MFK. I have no need to ever go back down that canyon again.
I've been to the Minarets. I will definitely be there again.
Other than the one trip to the Minarets, I've never traveled farther north than French Canyon/Humphreys basin. There is so much I haven't seen. What to do?

Many places I've wanted to go for over 25 years. Tehipite was one of those. More reason to make peace there. I've always wanted to go from Mineral King to Kern and follow it to the headwaters. Now that I've gotten a taste of the Wallace and Tyndall creek areas, I realize up the Kern is not what was important to me. The headwaters is the draw and there are a few ways there. I'm definitely going back next season, to the other side of the trench.

Window peak drainage was never something I'd ever thought about going to until reading "The Last Season". I feel compelled to pay homage to a man who crossed paths with me many years ago. If not for that, it would not be a blip on my radar.

There's a little remote lake Maverick mentioned to me that looks very compelling. I'd like to go there with him for some photography. Maybe next season Mav? What to do?

There are only a couple of three places on my list. I keep it small so my little pea brain can keep up. With so much to see, I normally make my plans around the holidays for the upcoming season. Rarely does it involve a bucket list. Already, I have some plans for next season. One to a place I've never been and one to a place I've been before. Maybe one more. What to do?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Out of Kings Canyon, over Granite Pass, past State Lakes and past Horseshoe Lake - The Lake on the edge of nowhere. It is not on a route.
I can not believe that no one (NO ONE)!! on HST has been there and tried to fish it.
Of all the good looking places (to me) in the Sierra, it is the only place I didn't go to and now I can't.
I wish some one would tell me.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

The Lake on the edge of nowhere. It is not on a route.
I can not believe that no one (NO ONE)!! on HST has been there and tried to fish it.

Maybe they have and just didn't disclose it.... :wink: