Great Sierra Book "Survive"

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
SierraVisions
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Great Sierra Book "Survive"

Post by SierraVisions »

Just finished reading "Survive" by Peter Deleo.
What an amazing book!!
In Nov. of 1993 the plane Peter was piloting crashed in the southern Sierra in the Kern River dranage. Peter spent the next 13 days hiking out of the mountains in snow 4-6 feet deep. He climbed over the crest at Olancha Peak and made his way to the Roadhouse Cafe in Olancha. Where he had to convice the Inyo Count Sheriff who he was. (I won't tell anymore and spoil it for those who haven't read it.)
This beek tells Peter's story of it all.
All I can say is WOW!! This guy is amazing and what he went through in the mountains was amazing. And if you pay attention to all that he did to survive you can learn a lot about surviving in the mountains in the winter.

Has anybody else read this book? It's only been out for about 6 months now. I highly recomend it to anyone who loves the mountains. In my opinion it ranks right up there with "Lost in the Minarets" as one of the great Sierra adventure books.

Steven
Sierragator
Founding Member

Post by Sierragator »

Yeah, I read this book in '05. The BS detector was off the charts. To each their own I suppose.
Therefore we are all, in some sense, mountaineers, and going to the mountains is going home."
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

I have never laughed so hard in my life as when I read this book - great comedy
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

I haven't read the book, but I did read the NTSB accident report.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id= ... 046&rpt=fa