Two Day One Night Trip Fishing Bay Area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frenchee
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Two Day One Night Trip Fishing Bay Area

Post by frenchee »

Hey guys. Posted in the fishing hole section and thought maybe this section would have more feedback on backpacking.
I'm looking to fish for a couple days this weekend. Friday-Sat. Bringing a lady friend with me. She has no backpacking background. Looking for an easy hike up to a lake/river, set camp fish and relax. Fish in the morning and head back. A quick 2 day trip with a trail.
Can anyone give me some suggestions on location? I will be fly fishing.
I've done a bit of backpacking with my father and decided to go on my own trip for once.

I also am not able to contribute much right now but will report back with my trip in order to participate here.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

LOCATED BAY AREA, SAN JOSE

UPDATE: The trip was great. Weather was great and we caught a few fish. Slightly disappointed with the fishing but I figure its only a 5 mile hike so mileage/fish is appropriate I guess haha.
Was pretty cold over night. Thankfully came prepared.

Last edited by frenchee on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Two Day One Night Trip Fishing

Post by AlmostThere »

Jennie Lake.
Dinkey Lakes.
Hobler Lake, out of Maxson trailhead.

The shallowest lake, Hobler, is a short hike in and would net the biggest fish. 1+ lb rainbows lurk there.
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

Rock Creek.

Andy
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Willythedog »

How bout desolation? More specifically Lyons lake from Lyons creek trailhead off of wrights lake road. This was one the first ones I did and it's nice and easy. Fishing was great. In fact first fish I caught fly fishing was here on a Adams dry. ( don't know how it is this late in the season though)

Biggest reason I recommend is the 2:30 hour drive from the Bay Area (just don't leave in the late afternoon. Traffic on 37 sucks big time.)

I prefer moving water too but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Also quick little side trip up mt Agassiz or mt price if you'd like.

Let me scrounge up pictures

Edited.
Last edited by Willythedog on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Where do you live? That could narrow things down a bit.

John
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

The Sierra is a long mountain range, so what is two day, one night for someone in SoCal (say southern E. side), would not necessarily be such a short trip for a Bay Area person.

If one lives the Bay Area or Sacramento area, I agree with Willythedog that Desolation is unbeatable when it comes to numerous options for 2 day, one night trips with amazing fishing for unusually large fish. If one lives in SoCal, then this doesn't work as well owing to the driving time. In contrast, from SoCal one might be looking at southern W. flank (some of these mentioned above) or east side options.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frenchee
Topix Newbie

Post by frenchee »

Totally forgot my location. I live in San Jose. Bay Area.

Dinkey lakes, Sequoia National Park looked great but at first it seemed further than desolation. Now that I look closer it doesn't seem that much farther.