The best piece of gear I've bought this year

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The best piece of gear I've bought this year

Post by maverick »

That's what I thought, but Bluewater gets a lot of gear from small companies
that are off the grid. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

Just gave my new purchase (ZPacks Solplex tent) a try this weekend. It passed with flying colors. Love it's light weight. At 16oz, counting the 8 stakes it takes, it is an amazing light fully enclosed and waterproof tent for one. It replaced my Gossamer Gear The One tent which was pretty nice but very noisy in any sort of wind.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

RC wrote:
Just gave my new purchase (ZPacks Solplex tent) a try this weekend.It passed with
flying colors.
It better have for $535. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

maverick wrote:That's what I thought, but Bluewater gets a lot of gear from small companies
that are off the grid. :)
For a while I was using the Taperlite inflatable pad made by Kookabay. At the time it was the lightest inflatable pad I could find. . . but Kookabay was a one man cottage manufacturer who really did go off the grid, he's no longer in business:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been mainly disappointed in the new gear I bought this year. I needed shoes and backpack. I stopped at both Sierra Trading Post in Reno and Backcountry Gear in SLC on my way to Wyoming. Sierra Trading Post was a bust. Backcountry Gear is an internet store and the "in store" experience is very tedious - they do not have a regular display of equipment - you pick out what you want on their computers, then they go back in the huge warehouse and bring it to a window. Then you try it on. It really is slow. The only shoes that fit were full price (Vasque) and as usual, fit great in the store but rub one of my little toes once I started using them. The pack was a great sale price, light weight and with what appeared as a good suspension system and will work for weekend trips, but although it had the capacity for a 10-day load, it did not balance once I put in a full bear can. Again, I only figured this out after it was too late to return.

I bought a new raincoat at the NOLS store in Lander. It is a Montbelle and so far I like it and it works well, although a bit heavier than I would like. We will see how long it stays waterproof. All my other rain jackets have leaked after about a year's use. So I guess this has to be my "best piece of gear bought this year", but the term "best" is relative - it is only "better" than the other purchases.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The only shoes that fit were full price (Vasque) and as usual, fit great in the store but rub one of my little toes once I started using them.
I hope your new Vasque shoes work out better after some more time on the trail. I also tried a new shoe this year with mediocre results. After many years my favorite Montrail shoe was discontinued so I started using New Balance for the EE width but ended up with blisters at the beginning of a long trip :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Before I went on this trip in the Spring:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11288&p=85214&hilit=kern#p85214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I pulled the trigger on a Termarest Neoair, a Jetboil Solti and a Steripen. I have used all 3 on a few trips this summer and have been very very happy with them. It was nice to get some "high tech" gear to supplement all my old school stuff.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

After the HST meet-up semi-worked my New Balance trail runners (just needed a lot of shoe goo), I got a pair of Altra LonePeak 1.5 in size 12.5 (1 full size up from my regular 11.5). Like Bluewater, I wear a size EE, but so many reviewers mentioned the LPs run wide that I went and bought a pair of Ds (medium) - the only width they come in - on sale from Shoewarehouse.

I must say, they really do rock. I wore them on 3 pretty long day hikes (12-14 miles each) during our Aug 395 road trip with no problems. They are much heavier than my NB running shoes, so they feel like boots to me. Dave McCoy is carrying Altras at the hostel - he had a new pair of 2.0 that he really likes, so I might try them out next year.

I also bought a Steripen for our day hikes. I never really treat my water, but I didn't want to take any chances with DW. (Ask Mav about his various adventures introducing his SO to the wonders of the great outdoors.) I think it's a great piece of equipment - I don't know if I'll bring it with me on my solo trips, but it's nice to have around for those less inclined towards the full immersion experience.

Also at the meet-up, Mav let me use his jet boil. It's sort of awesome to just light that sucker up, rather then mess around trying to get little Esbit tablets to get going. Still, since I rarely cook, I think I'll continue to take my Caldera UL stove under certain situations.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Rei Flash 22. Great, lightweight, simple daypack with just enough pockets and lashing options to be versatile.

Salomon XA pro trail runners, the breathable kind not waterproof. Slightly heavier duty than an UL shoe but still very light. Great support for my feet just a slight annoyance with the tongue sliding downward sometimes.

Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork trekking poles. Love em. Only slightly heavier than the carbon fiber models i looked at and much stronger.

Prana Zion pants at the ridiculously low price of $18! And the GF bought me some Kuhl Radikls. Both are insanely comfortable and a great fit. Dont know yet if id trust the Kuhls on anything more than leisurely dayhikes due to the spandex strips but they are my absolute favorite for that purpose.

I guess the title of the thread was 'best piece of gear' but ive bought several im happy with so there ya go. :-/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

Tarptent Stratospire 2. Used it for 4 weeks on JMT last August. Way roomier and sturdier than old Double Rainbow it replaced. Two doors and two generously sized vestibules. It is an odd shape with a fairly large footprint but we love it.

TenkaraUSA Iwana. Just started fishing last year and love this lil guy. Packs up so small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk