New Years Day with Canon 5D

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
doug395
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

New Years Day with Canon 5D

Post by doug395 »

After trying the 5D I just had to have one. It feels so good being at full frame again, long exposure image quality at iso 50 is beautiful. The larger files do eat up batteries and CF cards 1/3 faster than the 20D.
Here’s New Year’s day sunrise from Santa Cruz Island, anyone else have new years day views.

http://dmphotography.smugmug.com/galler ... 4976/Large
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

Here's a photo taken at sunset of Mt. Diablo in Contra Costa County on Jan 1.
At this point, I can only wish to take my photos with a 5D. I'll have to make due with my (outdated) 300D. :crybaby:

copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Doug, that is an awesome shot!!! What a place to be on New Year's Day! (In fact...all the photos from that album rock!)

I'd love to have a 5D and get that full frame again (amongst other things)...more than once I've wanted 17mm, not 17mm times 1.6x! (I've been carrying my old film body with velvia to try and compensate). I wanna see more shots with your 5D!

Robert...very nice shot.

I didn't head out to get any shots on New Years (of all the days during my break, new years was the one day I didn't get any shots)...I've been bay area bound for quite a while. Does Chrismas Eve and day count? I spent a good deal of time during my break around the bay area taking photos (I got a new telephoto lens I was dying to test out)

One of the better sunsets I've seen in a while, Natural Bridges State Park in Santa Cruz
http://www.flickr.com/photos/copeg/334101019/

An American Kestrel just about to have lunch...the gross photos of it actually having lunch withheld...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/copeg/335261534/
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Nice sunrise Robert, I was on the beach clicking away at that same moment.

Thanks trailblazer, the 5D is awesome, it’s like being back with my A2 shooting Velvia; adding all the benefits of digital. It was a special feeling being on the island for new years, just me and a kayaker out for sunrise. Love your sunset shot with the color reflections and water motion, those tack sharp bird shot are great.
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

Doug,

I just had a look at the rest of your pictures from Santa Cruz Island. Those are absolutely amazing shots! I'm desperately trying to justify a 5D purchase. How do I explain it to my financial controller (wife) that I really NEED to have the full frame flexibility of the 5D?

Robert
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Robert, if I had a financial advisor at home I’d be sleeping in the garage.
I had some photo projects last year that helped pay for the 5D, otherwise I wouldn’t have the guts to make that jump. I still have one more island to add to my Channel Island gallery, here’s a link to the full gallery as it is.

http://dmphotography.smugmug.com/
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

I suppose that's a good goal for me to work toward. If I can sell any of my photos, then the camera will help pay for itself. I suppose by the time I can sell any, the 5D will be obsolete...or maybe I can buy my own photos under a ficticious name and confuse my controller.

Back to the subject of Channel Islands....when I lived in Ventura county. I once had the opprtunity to sail to Anacappa (sp?). Very nice out there. Sure do miss SoCal.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey TB have you looked at the canon 10-22 lens? I have been very
happy with it on my 30D.
Really wide and sharp !
copeg

Post by copeg »

maverick wrote:Hey TB have you looked at the canon 10-22 lens? I have been very
happy with it on my 30D.
Really wide and sharp !
I've glanced at it, and considered the investment. But, I just shelled out a good deal of money for a 400mm (not to mention all the other camera gear I've bought over the last year), and my 'financial controller' won't allow for another lens purchase so soon (Plus, its almost lighter carrying my film camera body along, which I do every so often as a backup). Its great to know your happy with it, and its on my long list of purchases to consider.

Doug...great shots again.
Greg
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

Doug,

You have photo in your Santa Cruz folder that you've named Scorpion Beach Sunrise (file name sc012h). This photo is absolutely incredible! Most all of your photos are awesome, congrats.