Chocolate Rave

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Chocolate Rave

Post by maverick »

If you get a chance to try it Herm, let us know how you liked it please. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

Looking forward to trying Theo's Salted Almond Dark Chocolate 70% Bar this weekend on a trip to the Forks of the Kern. Found it will browsing for snacks at REI this afternoon and remembered what Maverick said about it being so good.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Had some of that yesterday Richard, still good for a flavored bar, but for
pure chocolate flavor D.Taylor's "Belize" is the bomb (for now :unibrow: ),
and has been the top pick at the last two chocolate tastings I had.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Is the "Belize" really $60 / lb?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

They are $6.99 a bar (Wholefoods), which are 2 oz each, so a total of $55.92,
which ain't bad for the excellent quality, and still cheap compared to some of the
European chocolates (especially Italian).

Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Hi Maverick;
Saturday (9/27), my wife and I found a cheese shop in Anaheim that carries 3 varieties of Dick Taylor chocolate. Unfortunately, they didn't carry "Belize Toledo" - but after telling them about your rave review, they put in an order to get some. In the meantime, we tried this one - Fleur de Sel 74% Dominican Republic - at a cost of $7.95 for the 2 ounce bar. Also picked up a jar of artisan caramel, and enjoyed a nice sample of a Spanish cheese made from sheep milk.
This shop could be trouble :nod:
About the chocolate - It was good; bitter, but smooth, with the salt taste kind of subtle behind the rich, dark cocoa. The package was cool, with the bar hand wrapped in neatly folded foil paper. The bar itself was embossed with an intricate pattern. Quite the "experience" in a bar of chocolate!

Might try to find the "Theo" at REI today, while looking for some new shoes.

Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, the packaging is of very high quality, very unique, only other chocolate that
has similar quality I have seen is from Italy. The Dominican is good, as are his
other ones, but the Belize is the one that really stands out above the rest.
Looking forward to hearing about you and your wifes experience Herm.

RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

maverick wrote:Had some of that yesterday Richard, still good for a flavored bar, but for
pure chocolate flavor D.Taylor's "Belize" is the bomb (for now :unibrow: ),
and has been the top pick at the last two chocolate tastings I had.
Maverick - I enjoyed the Theo chocolate on a trip this weekend. I'll keep my eye open for some D. Taylor "Belize" down here in the San Diego area.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

RichardCullip wrote:
Maverick - I enjoyed the Theo chocolate on a trip this weekend. I'll keep my eye open
for some D. Taylor "Belize" down here in the San Diego area.
Happy to read you enjoyed it Richard. :thumbsup:

longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:They are $6.99 a bar (Wholefoods), which are 2 oz each, so a total of $55.92,
which ain't bad for the excellent quality, and still cheap compared to some of the
European chocolates (especially Italian).
The really high octane chocolates more often than not fail to stimulate my unsophisticated childlike sweet tooth. But my wife loves that 70% dark bitter punishing stuff. I'll have to buy her some Theo next time I'm at REI; and see if our local WF carries Belize.

She occasionally hand carries chocolate home from business trips to Switzerland, from a shop called Basler Schoggi-Lade. It turns out that it's cheap! Only $30/lb. Pedestrian chocolate. Chocolate for the hoi polloi. :-)

What do the really expensive Italian chocolates look like / taste like?