kings canyon on Monday?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
uclacody0908
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

kings canyon on Monday?

Post by uclacody0908 »

So from tonight until sunday night kings canyon might be getting snow over 8k ft. I was planning on hiking to charlotte lake but did not expect snow so soon with how dry our winters have been, maybe this is normal for drought years to get some snow this time of year but not a bunch?
Anyway the noaa report says mon thru wed should have sunny days and cloudy to clear skies with no chance of precipitation. Am i crazy to still go?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: kings canyon on Monday?

Post by maverick »

Question really is, if you have to ask, should you really be going?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Agree with above...
If you have the good winter-weather gear, are prepared for anything, and don't mind being a bit chilly - go.
Personally, any Sierra trip is always a treat but being tent bound for any long period of time gets old real fast. Hiking over the wet...high winds and biting cold also sucks.
It all depends on next week's weather as today's forecast hints to Sierra snow this weekend down to 6,000 feet...could be problematic...next week could be fine though... (or not).
Stay tuned I guess.
Hike safe!
Mountainman who swims with trout
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

uclacody0908 wrote: Am i crazy to still go?
Hi!
Go. We are all a little crazy. I've done some snow camping on purpose, and some unexpected. Be prepared and have a great time. If you ever saw a snowy scene Christmas card, well, the best card is about 1% as pretty as being there.
By all means GO!
-mort
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you haven't answered basic questions hinted at. do you have the winter gear and ability to deal with a snowstorm? And do you want to?

Yes it looks clear but.. It's a weird season.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just a FYI - snowing (albeit light) right now in Mammoth.
Mountainman who swims with trout
uclacody0908
Topix Novice

Post by uclacody0908 »

Yea I think it will be fine. It seems like a light dusting, accumulation of less than half an inch each day. Highs are starting to rise for mon, tue, and wed.
I don't have snow gear (snow shoes, crampons, ice axe) or backpacking in snow experience which is why i asked the question in the first place.
Guess i just got worried when I saw the snow report, but looks like that anxiety was a little premature.

Edit: I do have the necessary clothing and sleeping gear, and gps to follow should the trails be covered with snow.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The question is not if you have the equipment, but do you have the experience dealing with snow and late fall weather? There are a lot of decisions you may need to make that only experience will assure you make the right decision.

I just came home from a 6-day trip from Pine Creek TH - mostly above 11,000 feet. It snowed last night about a quarter inch at Pine Lake. It was below freezing every night. Winds were fierce a few days. It was dark and cold 12 hours each night. Depending on where you choose to camp, you can have to wait until 10AM to get sunshine, or get evening shadows as early as 4PM. I chose every camp to get maximum sunshine. You really need to plan a late fall trip differently than a mid-summer trip.

It was snowing on Luther Pass mid afternoon today. There is about 6 inches of snow on the ground at Luther Pass and Echo Summit. Sonora Pass is closed. Most of the storm is in the northern Sierra.

I doubt this cold weather will last. Check the NWS website. Forecasts are usually OK for three days or so. Just remember that even if the NWS says 35-degree lows, you can expect 10 degrees lower in certain locations.
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Post by Thebrenner »

I just came back from Kings Canyon this evening from a backpack trip to lost lake and beyond. ( will post tr shortly) at the visitors center today the weather report was for clear sunny skies starting tomorrow, Monday with highs in mid 60's. That's at 6,000 feet. It was snowing this am above 8.000 feet but was not sticking for long.
In addition to being prepared gear wise for cold weather and possible snow I think it's important to be mentally and psychologically prepared as well. Be ready for anything and be prepared to hunker down in your tent if need be.
Another idea is to go to a lower elevation where you can have a fire at night....I found this helped pass the long evening as well as being a source of warmth and enjoyment. You might consider going to East Lake where you can have a fire.
And it is stunningly beautiful out there this time of year; albeit windy and cold!