Strange Encounter

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Strange Encounter

Post by oleander »

Twice now in Mineral King, I have had surprise encounters with big, quiet, fearless deer while in camp. They walk into the campsite after dark, poking around a little bit. Looking for salt? And unlike normal deer, they are hard to scare away.

That has never happened to me anywhere else in the Sierra. Just in Mineral King!

- Elizabeth
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Somebody else posted recently about fearless deer coming in for salt. I don't recall if it was the same area or not.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The deer in Yosemite are downright tame and very curious. I had one try to get into my tent! The deer in areas where they are seriously hunted are more wary of humans. Hunting is not allowed in National Parks so the deer do not fear you.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

It's funny how the dark and the unknown can play tricks with your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Why didn't you just walk toward the eyes with your light on it?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

I had a similar experience one night camped above the north shore of Franklin Lake out of Mineral King. But there were 5 or more sets of eyes staring at me and my brother. While my brother and I were star gazing near his tent, the many sets of eyes were close to my tent, which was a couple hundred feet away. If I approached, they would move, but didn't leave the area until I went to my tent to retire for the night. Interesting, but not anything that felt threatening.

Too many sasquatch stories tied to Mineral King!
:paranoid:

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.