Strange Encounter

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jason98165
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Strange Encounter

Post by Jason98165 »

Just got back from Mineral King 5 day trip to Clover Meadow (Below Monarch Lakes), Sawtooth, Lost Canyon, Big Five lakes, Pinto lake back to trailhead. I will have a trip report up in a couple days. But, what I wanted to ask is if anyone has had this experience. While at lower Big Five Lakes, my buddy, Marc and I were at the campfire relaxing and all of a sudden Marc whips around and shines the flashlight into the woods and we see these reflective green eyes beaming back at us. We sat and stared at these eyes for minutes they stared back and moved very little and had ducked behind a log briefly and poked his head back up and continued to stare. Not knowing what it was or why it was watching, we threw a rock thinking it might be a bear or mountain lion coming for our food. Whatever it was it took off and didn't return. A friend for mine suggested we had an encounter with a Sasquach. While I was out there that hadn't come to mind but now that he has mentioned it, it makes me wonder. He had suggested and animal wouldn't have appeared to be studying us and it's behavior didn't appear animal like. He as had friends that live in the Sierras tell him about their encounters with the creature. Any thoughts or similar experiences?
acorad
Topix Regular

Re: Strange Encounter

Post by acorad »

All the Sasquatchs I've seen have had hazel eyes.

:-)

Andy
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

acorad wrote:All the Sasquatchs I've seen have had hazel eyes.

:-)

Andy
Same here. More yellow than green.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

it was a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Felines have eyes that reflect green at night. You need to figure out the spacing etc to get an idea of what it is. I ran into a coyote at 2am playing with my bear can on a picnic table. Figured it out with brown/yellow eyes and about a 4" spacing...
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted

Post by phoenix2000 »

I think that AlmostThere is probably right and it was probably a deer. The old "deer in a headlight" syndrome where if you shine a light in their face they freeze. I've had only one experience with this. Once I realized what was going on and turned off my flashlight the deer took off.

I did a quick search of the web and the opinion is that at night deer's eyes are adjusted for low light and when you shine you flashlight at them they go blind and will freeze until their eyes adjust. So that would explain why it stared at you for minutes before ducking down behind the log.

Researchers also believe that deer have poor eyesight and depend more on detecting movement. So it could be that the deer could only see the light and didn't know there were humans there until you threw the rock. So it was staring again to try to determine what was out there.

You didn't mention how high off the ground the eyes seemed to be.
Jason98165
Topix Novice

Post by Jason98165 »

Forgot to mention some specifics. It appeared to be about 3 feet for so off the ground but was tough to tell cause it was down hill from us, but looked like it could be crouched behind a log. I searched the area and found no tracks of any kind. We also took the light off of it and went back a couple minutes later possibly as many as five. When we checked back it was still looking at us.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was, and still am curious as hell to what it was. Mountain Lion, deer, coyote, bear or Sasquach, whatever it was it sure did add to our trip. It made for some good trail talk. It wasn't a scary moment or anything just a real curious one.
Last edited by Jason98165 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

All the deer I have encountered at night act and look like that. Since my dog growls at every single deer every time, I see lots of green eyes hovering out there....
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

if you throw a rock at said target right between the two "eyes", and it throws a rock back at you, then it's not a deer; otherwise, it's probably a deer. :D
Jason98165
Topix Novice

Post by Jason98165 »

cool, first for me. it was fun.