TR OGULs Rubicon and Phipps 9/19 2014

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR OGULs Rubicon and Phipps 9/19 2014

Post by Gazelle »

9/19/2014 1 day 12.56 miles 4289 elevation gain 4579 elevation loss

Had a Friday off due to the ironman lake Tahoe so decided to do a OGUL adventure, peaks on list for the day Rubicon, twin, and ellis. Made my way to Rubicon Peak Trailhead? In the Rubicon properties area followed petethousandspeaks directions, only car there. Took off hiking 8:30 up a steep use trail all the way to the base of the peak, looked around for a good way up and tried a few but being solo finally chose the easiest (more to the southwest) and also scouted for ways down to Stoney ridge lake as decided to go over to Phipps peak instead of driving to Twin and Ellis like originally planned if the smoke stayed decent. Found a decent way down to the lake much steeper and longer than expected to the Meeks bay desolation trail on the other side of the creek.
1000.jpg
At this point also decided I would go out Eagle falls trail and hitch hike back to my car did not want to go back up what I just came down and had not been in that part of Desolation in 10+ years. Took off on the trail to Phipps pass and peak passing by Rubicon Lake where I had camped on my Tahoe to Yosemite trip years ago.
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
At Phipps pass just took off to the right up towards the peak looking to the north at Phipps lake, worked up to a sandy bench and started wondering where is the peak? walked a little further to a rock pile/peak area very windy could not find a register so off I went pretty much straight down towards Middle Velma Lake
1003.jpg
found the trail but decided to just head straight for Velma
1004.jpg
as I knew the trail went around quite a ways. Not sure if it was quicker but I enjoyed it, met up with the trail on the west shore and followed it all the way out to eagle falls trailhead. Done at 3 took my time due to the smoke in the air.
1005.jpg
Went across road to Vikingsholm parking lot and tried to hitch hike no one would stop as all turning in parking lot finally well only about 15 minutes a nice girl said she would take me even though it was the wrong way for her, the hike back up to the car from the highway was brutal I live on Donner Summit and I have no idea how these homeowners can make it up these paved switchbacks in the winter. Awesome day saw only 1 person on the way up to Rubicon peak then no one till almost all the way to Eagle Lake.

Thanks Kristine 2 more OGUL peaks done 30 now for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gazelle on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: TR OGULs Rubicon and Phillips 9/19 2014

Post by Vaca Russ »

Kristine,

Congratulations!

Yes, the smoke was pretty bad. The Ironman competition got cancelled due to too much smoke. We were in Truckee Saturday night and the air was VERY thick!

So I take it there is no register on Phipps? Maybe Sport and I should take a register up there! :nod:

Thanks for the report!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

VR got it right it is Phipps, not Phillips.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Opps
Last edited by Gazelle on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Okay I am kind of retarded on spelling more of a math person will fix when I get home from work
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

VR did you guys go to the gold lakes area? No register on Phipps or Rubicon that I could find
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Yuberiver wrote:Okay I am kind of retarded on spelling
Just don't call the mountains we love the Sierras, or all will break loose....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman