backcountry radio (am/fm)

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: backcountry radio (am/fm)

Post by Shawn »

CCrane is known for good AM/FM radios.

This one looks nice -
http://www.ccrane.com/Pocket-Radios/CC- ... 55-Presets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

If you are really desperate might try a used serius/xm lynx radio or figure out a way to make a battery pack for an Onyx model satellite Radio.

Then you have the yearly hassle of getting the price of the service down to a reasonable amount which I consider to be about $10 per month for a package that provides all sports. I think the regular package is about $19 but if you are persistent you can get it down to $10.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I have an old Panasonic "work" radio. I use it car camping, picking up KRHV when up in the hills is pretty cool.

Reception is generally better at night, you don't have to deal with the sun's magnetic disturbances. Probably why some AM stations lower their power at night. FM seems to be less affected.

John
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Back in '86 I was driving close to dusk down 395 to the Kramer Jct split. Was wicked weather so turned on the AM to find local weather since thundershowers were on the way. Got a station; said it was clear and mild. Well after 10 mins they identified the station as being in Chicago. It's called atmospheric "skip". Way cool. I'm sure Sean or other hams have a more scientific explanation of "skip"
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

John Harper wrote:Reception is generally better at night, you don't have to deal with the sun's magnetic disturbances. Probably why some AM stations lower their power at night. FM seems to be less affected.
It has to do with the ionosphere, a very high layer of the atmosphere. Radio waves in the AM band are refracted and reflected by the ionosphere. This so-called bounce allows for much greater broadcast distances than would otherwise be possible. During the day there is a lower layer in the ionosphere that absorbs radio waves in the AM band. At night this layer isn't present.

The ionosphere is transparent at the frequencies used for FM radio.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Thanks for the replies! Got the c crane pocket. It's great so far. We'll see how it works out there.