Agnew, TI, Ediza

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jornellas
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Agnew, TI, Ediza

Post by jornellas »

Hello,

New to the forum but have been lurking for a while. My buddy and I are planning a loop in a few weeks and after getting snowed in last September at Ediza thought we would try a 4 day trip heading directly to TI day 1, dropping down to Garnet day 2, crossing Whitebark day 3 to Ediza, and out day 4. It's a tad aggressive (Whitebark) however any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What level of backpacking experience do you have?

Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?

-(light) Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography
- Fishing

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
4 days 3 nights

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
7-8 no layovers

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which
may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
Loop

?

Will you be hiking with a dog? No
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Agnew, TI, Ediza

Post by maverick »

Hi Jornellas,

Welcome to HST!
Here is one of many threads that you can find on this subject matter by using the
search feature at the top of the page (this one has info on Whitebark Pass):
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ass#p85365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Going down the pass is always more precarious than going up, there is an area in
the middle that looks like a use trail which one can follow (smaller rocks, almost
like steps).
It requires someone with a heavy pack to have very good balance, just came back
Sunday, we did the pass twice in a day (Ediza>Garnet>1000 Is>Ritter and then back).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jornellas
Topix Acquainted

Post by jornellas »

Maverick,

Thanks much! I had seen that post but you gave me the specifics I was looking for. Any ideas on good spots at TI to camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Northeastern side for the views, or all the ways at the western end of the lake
at one of the 3 separate smaller lakes for more solitude and quicker access to
Garnet Pass.
The 3 smaller lakes at the western end of Garnet Lake is even better, and the
views of Garnet from Whitebark Pass is sublime.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jornellas
Topix Acquainted

Post by jornellas »

Awesome, thanks again. Will post a TR upon return!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

As "no camping" signs are posted at the north end TI, most congregate NW end, somewhere near the small lakes or up in the trees but lots of bears know this too.
Suggest camping SW end TI (use trail) - just under Banner and going over the back-end hump (see TOPO) from TI to backside Garnet, avoiding the north end clusterflucks of both TI & Garnet.
Mountainman who swims with trout