In need of a new tent.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: In need of a new tent.

Post by whrdafamI? »

Herm, your experience with the Copper Spur 2 is just one of the reasons I was not happy with the Fly Creek.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

BTW sierratradingpost.com runs additional 30% off deals often. Today it's additional 40% off which makes 50-70% off of msrp, and some tents are included in the sale.
wandering outdoors and the universe
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

whrdafamI wrote:Herm, your experience with the Copper Spur 2 is just one of the reasons I was not happy with the Fly Creek.
whrdafamI;

Just to clarify, I bought the tent as a solo shelter, and it worked fine for me in that respect. I was just pointing out that others might be disappointed if expecting to fit 2 people in there. I couldn't imagine getting a one-person tent - that would feel like a coffin.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Forget the label - one person, two etc. Look closely at the measurements in the specifications and compare on that basis in order to choose the size of the tent. Everyone has different ideas of what is needed in space. Personally, most one person tents are actually too big for me. Big is not always better even if it is an incrementally small weight gain. I camp in places where a small footprint is needed. The larger the tent the larger a smooth flat space is needed. Kind of like Goldilocks - not too small, not to big, but just right! The size of the packed tent should also be considered. I need a compact small package. I bushwhack, so like to get my tent inside my pack.

What we all need, regardless of size, preferences and all the bells and whistles, is a tent that is totally weather-worthy. For me this is more than withstanding one severe storm - it is the ability to live in and stay dry in a week's worth of miserable weather, above timber, at 12,000 feet; and do this year after year. Your criteria may be different. I find internet "reviews" almost useless. I wonder if some rosy reviews are actually "planted" by the manufacturer.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

WD, I have often thought the same thing regarding reviews. I do not give them much consideration anymore.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted

Post by tahoefoothills »

I've had and used a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo since 2009. Some of the best attributes: light weight; packs very small; easy to set up; durable; relatively inexpensive. Some negatives: single wall condensation issues on occasion; small interior; not free-standing.

I am slightly built (5' 10", 143 lbs), so the small interior works for me. I just got back from a multi-day Colorado backpack where it rained every day and most of one night. The tent worked just fine. I just made sure to tie it down well in the critical areas. The tent dries almost instantly when the sun is out. It's not a perfect tent, but it has been a workhorse for me and it's ultralight weight is probably the best thing about it.

I have an LLBean two-person tent for those occasions when I am on the trail with someone else. I think the name of it is "Microlight". Anyway, it weighs about 3 pounds, 12 ounces and the price is competitive, especially when LLBean has a 20 percent-off sale. The tent was mentioned in Backpacker a few years ago as a good value.
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Sounds like the OP has solved his dilemma. That looks like a great tent! This year I picked up a Double Rainbow from Tarptent. Had the pleasure of picking it up in person in Grass Valley, where the Tarptent trolls were hard at work.

I got this 2-person tent to serve as a very comfortable solo shelter, or workable tent for me and the hunny. So far I've only used it in mild weather on a 5-day bike tour, but very happy so far. Light weight, packs and compresses well, setup and takedown are super quick. Construction seems good, features are well thought out. I like things like lightweight zippers that are not overbuilt, and are well suited to the task. Only drag was having to seal the seams myself, but no big deal. Now I know it was done right. A buddy of mine picked up a solo Contrail, and loves it as well.