Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

bump
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
shan1203
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by shan1203 »

Hi HST,

I've posted a few times already, but allow me to formally introduce myself :)

My husband and I are recent transplants from the Midwest now living in SoCal (and loving it!) For the last 10 years, we've spent all of our vacation time traveling west for various outdoor adventures - most of which include either the Grand Canyon or the Sierra Nevadas. We started out as hikers/backpackers, but have recently (in the last two years) taken up climbing and canyoneering, as well.

Before moving here, we did the JMT in four section hikes - one week each August from 2009-2012. This experience left us knowing that the Sierra Nevadas would be a frequent destination for us for (hopefully) the rest of time! We absolutely love the mountains, and these ones in particular. They are simply amazing. We've been frequenting Onion Valley and Sequoia/Kings Canyon ever since moving here and have hiked to: Garderner Basin, 60 Lakes Basin, Mt Gould summit, Big Baldy summit and climbed: Half Dome, Lembert Dome, Little Baldy this summer.

We are looking forward to accessing more and more remote areas of the Sierra Nevadas and also accumulating summits as we go. The information in this forum has already proven to be such a valuable resource!

Happy Hiking,
Shannon
MJF
Topix Novice

Post by MJF »

My name is Mike and I love backpacking. I just turned fifty and my knees are shot so I have been reducing the weight of my gear which has helped me tremendously. My first trip to 10000 Island lake this past weekend was fantastic. When I came through the rocks to see Banner Peak my jaw dropped to the floor. I like all the information offered here and thought I would join in.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome to HST, Mike!

loved your story of weight loss as well on the other thread.
Optimus-00
Topix Novice

Post by Optimus-00 »

Longtime backpacker in High Sierra, but new to this board. I was sent here by participants on recent Sierra Club trip I led into Lake Basin. I've led Sierra Club backpack trips since 1980, went on my first SC backpack in 1974, a wee pup of 13 back then. My mentors were John Carter, Jim Watters, Patrick Colgan, and Jim Maas.

Favorite routes always have a strong cross-country component to them, and it's fun to do new routes but also fun to repeat parts of old routes - the mountains don't change much, but my bones and muscles sure do!

- Andy J.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the formal intro. :)

Hi Mike and Andy,

Welcome to HST! Yes Mike, the view from the eastern end of 1000 Is Lake with Banner
in the background is postcard ready.
Looking forward to reading some of your older and newer TR's that you would like to
share with us while leading Sierra Club groups or individual trips Andy.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gozerian138
Topix Novice

Post by Gozerian138 »

Hello All,
Been lurking for about a year, checking out all of the wonderful trips and soaking up the trip advice. I backpacked as a kid with my dad and with the Scouts in the San Gabriel Mtns. As an adult, I have done a medium amount of backpacking with my kids and one of my good buddies in recent years. Most of my trips have been in the San Gabriels, since I am a SoCal dweller. I did one quick trip in Death Valley (Marble Canyon) with a friend a couple years ago. That backcountry is bizarre and fascinating..

Anyway, this past summer I finally got out into the Sierras and did a 2 nighter up to Shadow and Lake Ediza with my oldest kids. Needless to say I am hooked on the Sierras now. I am exploring the possibilities on starting to work on the JMT in segments (with friends and/or with my kids) over the next several years. Unfortunately, like a lot of people, I do not have nearly the free time to do more than 2-3 nights at a time. I am always looking for backpacking trips to take my kids on (4 years old to 14 years old) and quick overnighters with friends as well. I will try to participate on this board more :) . Hopefully at some point, I will be able to share some backpacking adventures. I thoroughly enjoy all of the great trip reports that people post and hopefully it will continue to inspire me to get up to the Sierras.

-Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to HST! You'll have fun doing the JMT in sections, looking forward to
reading the TR's of your adventures. :)

limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Howdy,

My name is Daniel Jeffcoach and I love every activity in the mountains. I know tons about Sequoia/Kings Canyon and almost nothing about everywhere else. My son is now 8th generation fresno/tulare county so this area is like home and now I've been able to learn a lot about the rest of the range from all of you, so thanks!

I'll try to do a TR sometime as a thank you
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro. Will be looking for that TR! :)