In need of a new tent.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: In need of a new tent.

Post by rlown »

whrdafamI, would you like to try out a double rainbow tarptent? I can tell you they're hot in direct sun, but very nice for ventilation at night and no leaks (seam sealed). Let me know and I can loan you mine for a trip.

Russ
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I just got back from a trip with my brand new REI Quarter Dome 3 and that tent is pretty amazing. It's easily the lightest tent I've ever carried, at barely over 4 lbs, and incredibly roomy (it really could easily fit three full sized people and gear; there were just two of us using it) and very nicely thought out in its layout. I didn't have to go through bad weather but I've heard from others who have gotten through some good storms in I imagine their 2-person is still a plenty roomy 2-person tent and I'm sure it is even lighter than the QD3. To give you an idea of just how light it is, when I brought it home I was initially concerned that there was something missing because it just seemed way lighter than it should, so I pitched it in the bedroom and discovered that in fact everything was in place. We'll see how this stands up to wear and tear over the years on hard trips, but as of now this looks to be the best tent I've ever owned.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I want a new tent myself but am having trouble as it will save me about 18oz at most. After all my research I think it will end up being the BA Copper Spur UL1 when I finally pull the trigger on a new one man. It's a proper freestanding tent in that the frame system reaches all the corners. I like side entry as well and the use of a lightweight fabric at the bottom to eliminate drafts. All the perks really and a 2lb 3oz listed trail weight is pretty nice.

Right now I am gonna keep leaning on my BD Lighthouse. Thing did fine in rain and hail and wind. Bomber tent that will go into the 4th season. It's just a bit heavy and I am trying to kick those last 4 lbs out of my setup. It has it's faults, but it's a pretty nice rig for most Sierra stuff.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Proper freestanding tents... sold 'em. I do fine with a Sublite and the Lightheart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Just this afternoon, I set up my new Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 in the garage. Its intended use for me is a solo shelter, with plenty of room to store my pack and boots etc. without feeling cramped - 2 doors, 2 vestibules. It sets up easily, in just a few minutes. And you can get it on sale at REI this week. Weighing in under 4 pounds including footprint, it is more than a full pound lighter than the trusty REI HalfDome that I have used for many years. I hope to put it to "real" use in the High Sierra next week.

Will inform about its performance after returning.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I saw that in the REI book. It was nagging me that SOMEONE was looking for a new tent and can't remember whom. Let us know.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I have been using a Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 for the last several years on quite a few trips. It has held up well in rain,wind, and snow. It is a one person tent, and it is on the small size, that is for sure. I prefer my Sierra Designs Lightning for comfort, but it is much heavier. I had to send the BA Fly Creek 1 in for a zipper replacement on the main tent body a year ago. Now, it looks like the zipper on the rain fly is shot after my last trip. So I think the BA zippers can use some quality upgrades, at least on the Fly Creek model. I have found the actual stated weights on tents is not always, shall I say, 100% accurate. I would definitely weigh everything myself if lightweight is important to you, and buy from someone who has a good return policy, because these manufacturers definitely are getting premium prices for their ultralight tents, and they better darn well be the weight they state, before I keep it. The problem is similar to the overstated volumes of many packs, as revealed on sites like "Backpacking Light.com". Some tents are heavier that the published specs indicate. By changing 6 of the tent stakes on the BA Fly Creek 1 to titanium, I now have the weight down to a legitimate 2 pounds, 3 ounces. I don't know that I would buy another Big Agnes, definitely not another Fly Creek 1. I would want a little more room, with no more weight than I carry now. The Big Sky tents have been getting good reviews, but they are not cheap either. I will be interested to see what your final decision is, and then how it works out for you. If I buy something new before next year, I will post my opinion.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I have decided to go with a Six Moon Design "Lunar Duo". It has not been purchased as of yet as I heard they might be having a sale in a couple of months. I had initially considered the "Big Sky Revolution" but I just couldn't get past the cash out lay for one. By the time I had it the way I wanted it with the upgrades it came to $556 bucks! Just didn't make any sense for the amount of use it would potentially get. The "Lunar Duo" isn't cheap but I think it will be just fine. The only thing I didn't like is that it is not free standing.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

Looks like you've decided already, but for my tent hunting, I had my eyes set on Hilleberg Nallo and looked for a used one for a while. It was hard to come by since I was looking for 4 persons tent (2 kids). Not too many quality 4 persons tent users out there as opposed to 1-3. Finally picked up Nallo 4 GT at a good price and very happy with it. The only problem is its big footprint due to large vestibule. Once set up it's a backcountry mansion. Another tent is BA Copper Spur 4 which is also great, but now became summer/desert only tent for us.

Just a suggestion to look into used gear as it has been good for me so far. But then some of my friends refuse to buy used gears ...

Good luck!
wandering outdoors and the universe
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

So I got to use my new Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 tent on a recent trip over Duck Pass. I am 5 feet 11 inches tall, weigh about 190 pounds and have broad shoulders. There is no way I would want to share this tent with anyone, not even my petite little wife, because the tent is just not roomy enough for two. To accommodate my width, I use an Exped Synmat Deluxe 7 inflatable air mattress, which is 26 inches wide (rectangular), and this tent would not fit another pad, not even at 20 inches. Therefore, it will serve well as my solo shelter. Here is a photo, all set up at a camp spot below Glen Lake.

The tent sets up and takes down easily, and weighs significantly less than the REI Halfdome Plus 2 that I have carried previously.
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.