Sierra First Timer - High Sierra Trail Itinerary Advice Need

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra First Timer - High Sierra Trail Itinerary Advice Need

Post by limpingcrab »

Lots of questions! You'll have a blast, here are a few thoughts:

First, you do not legally need a bear can despite what rangers tell you, they are often not familiar with specifics and give visitors blanket statements that are half-truths. You can print this incase the ranger at the permit station gives you trouble (likely) http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/u ... 130906.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or just say you have one, they've never made me show it to them. The only part of the HST where they are required is on the east side of Whitney, but that's only if you're staying the night there. Also, all of your intended camp sites except for the tarn above guitar lake have bear boxes. I can't stand bear cans!!!

If you're in Tahoe for a few days the elevation on your first day won't (shouldn't) give you trouble. Stay hydrated and keep up your electrolytes and on the morning of day two take two ibuprofen. My wife did part of her doctor of pharmacy research on altitude sickness and that plan helps more than pretty much anything except blood doping :)

Hamilton or precipice at sunset is magical but that would be a rough first day. I'd stay at Buck Creek or Bearpaw. Bearpaw might be just a site in the forest but it has cool views. The camping spots are easy to find at Buck Creek. I don't know of any camping with water access at Lone Pine Creek, the trail crosses it on a bridge about 70ft above the water, but maybe there is and I just haven't noticed it.

You won't be missing any must see spots on the side trail to Moraine Lake. I think moraine lake is a cool spot because you can get views of the Great Western Divide and the lake is shallow enough to keep it warmer for a comfortable dip. However, a really great spot is camping along Big Arroyo right where the trail crosses the creek. This might be a good option also because the last uphill to Moraine might not be too fun after all the climbing on your second day.

Some love the Hot Springs and some don't but you may as well check it out as you walk by. I like Junction Meadow but that's just because I like forests. There are many camp sites at Wallace Creek if you go past Junction Meadow but the climb from Junction up there is hot, dry, steep and south facing so it's a good section to do in the morning.

Crabtree Lakes, and especially meadow, is a really cool. That would be a kinda longish detour but it's pretty, and in my opinion nicer than Arctic Lake (but they're both beautiful in their own ways). No reason to walk all the way down to Hitchcock Lakes to camp. You can see them from above and the tarns are less out of the way.

Try Mt. Muir. It'll feel sketchy if you're not used to the high places but it's so close that you can retreat without wasting much time. Leave everything at trailcrest and bring a water bottle if you must but I just chug a bunch and hike with minimal gear to the summit.

In the end it doesn't really matter where you go 'cause it's gonna be great! I wish I could help with the shuttle but I work on thursdays. Here's an idea; if you want to crash on our couch in Visalia that might offset the cost of the cab if you don't stay in a hotel?

Have a great trip!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I do a lot of (Gym) climbing so I am not as worried about the terrain as the route finding.
If I had a partner I would go for it, but it is probably not a good idea solo, particularly
considering how much descending I have in store for that afternoon.
Good call, gym climbing is way different, and easier than out on granite. Just because
you may pull a 5.11b in the gym, doesn't mean you'll do the same outside, more like
may be a 5.6 or 5.7.

Would also recommend using our Reconn Form in conjunction with your
SatPhone, with all electronics you have to be able to get to them, turn them
on, and have a nice unobstructed view of the sky. http://reconn.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

I've used East Side Sierra Shuttle and would not hesitate to use them again. Very dependable and friendly.
byeager
Topix Novice

Post by byeager »

Thanks for the tip on the ibuprofen limpingcrab, I had not heard that before but will be sure to give it a go. It is good to know that camping along Big Arroyo is an option. That will be the fall back if the lure of a good swim isn't enough for me to press on to Moraine Lake. I already got my hotel in Visalia but the couch offer is mighty kind!

Maverick, I will be sure to use the reconn tool, I always leave an itinerary with my wife but wouldn't have thought of the gear list/photos or the shoe print.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

limpingcrab wrote:I don't know of any camping with water access at Lone Pine Creek, the trail crosses it on a bridge about 70ft above the water, but maybe there is and I just haven't noticed it.
There's a spot with a fire ring on the right side of the trail between the bridge and the junction that goes off to Elizabeth Pass. There are some small creeks a few hundred yards up the trail towards Elizabeth Pass, but they might be dry this late this year. It's also not too hard to scramble down to Lone Pine Creek around there. Or just fill up at Bearpaw on the way.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Although I realize some like these kind of long mileage trips, especially those into athletic challenges, I sense you are more interested in an exciting enjoyable trip. From that perspective, I would not recommend your itinerary. It certainly is a long ways from the most scenic trip you might do. And if you really wanted to enjoy that HST route, a full 7 to 9 days would be far better. And way better at a decent time of summer like late July...not late September. That way you could actually stop and do something when reaching the several awesome places enroute instead of being a slave to pushing all waking hours in order to reach distant destinations.

Four nights with 5 days in the High Sierra is not very much time.

There is a long list of better 5 day trips. Like many trans Sierra routes, the HST spends a lot of time in rather ho hum terrain like forest and down in canyons. And in this droughty year a whole lot of those miles are going to be dry, dusty, and unpleasant. Much better if you spent all your time in the High Sierra and you can do that with an in and out hike from several Eastern Sierra trailheads. Plus that makes your logistics a lot simpler.

So 5 days? Onion Valley over Kearsarge Pass, Rae Lakes, spend a day or two exploring, and back out. Or Coldwater Creek at Mammoth Lakes over Duck Pass to Tully Lake and spend a day or two exploring the big lakes along the whole route. Lots of spur trails to worthy places on either route to keep someone busy for several times the days you are only going to have. Both these two would be considerably more scenic. Ask the board for advice.
byeager
Topix Novice

I Survived!

Post by byeager »

Hi All,

I had an amazing trip! I just wanted to thank everyone for the input, it definitely came in handy. I finally got a trip report posted too. It is available at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Again!