TR, Chain Lakes, YNP, 8/30-31/2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR, Chain Lakes, YNP, 8/30-31/2014

Post by sheperd80 »

Went for a quick ovenight this weekend with my brother and his better half. Chain Lakes seemed like a good starter for them as it was relatively moderate and a beautiful area.

We decided to stay at the middle lake because Upper was already occupied by a noisy group, and Middle was more interesting.

Fishing was less than stellar, but we didnt try very hard either. I caught a few throwback brookies and two decent rainbows. I also managed to lose three Kastmasters! Ive been using the same trusty brass one for years and now its deeply embedded in a log in Middle Chain. :-(

Lower

Middle

Campfires Allowed!

Sunrise and still water on Middle Chain.

Initially i wanted to climb Gale Peak but time was running out on day 2 so i decided instead to scramble up around the nameless peak behind Middle Chain and see how far i could get. Heres Middle and Upper from above.

Im definitely returning to this place. Gale Peak is on my must-do list because legend has it that many of the Ansel Adams lakes ive been to in the past are visible from there.

The trail was quite scenic as well.

On the way out, I led my exhausted companions on the small detour to Chiquito "Lake" .... TOTALLY on purpose! ;-) This panorama came out weird but interesting none the less.

It was a great trip. Easy enough hike, lots to explore, beautiful area, and Im sure i could have more success fishing if i tried a little harder. Definitely going back!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR, Chain Lakes, YNP, 8/30-31/2014

Post by rlown »

Nice report! I love that area. Middle is definitely the (fishing) target. Your Kastmaster is probably parked on the same log Markskor swam for his. :D

I'm surprised they allowed campfires still at this time of year when every other FS has shut them down.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Yes i was really suprised they allowed fires. It was a nice change for me as i havent had one while backpacking in about 2 years.

The fishing situation was strange. When we first passed Middle on the way to Upper, i could see them actively feeding off the surface. Upper had some activity and thats where i caught some tiny brookies.

When we returned to Middle it was dead, no feeding. Even the next day there was no movement except for a few i saw trolling the shallows. I managed to grab one keeper there with an unorthodox setup but couldnt get any interest after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Upper is a "minnow" fest. :)

We're in the fishing slow period now, so it wouldn't surprise me for Middle to be slow, except maybe at the inlet. We scored solid 12"-14" when there. Of course Mark caught a 4lb'r out of the inlet. :wink:

Still waiting for him to paint a pic of that fish.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Chain Lakes are really nice, especially the middle one. To bad about the loud folks
at the upper lake.
Weird that they are allowing fires at this elevation, but not below 6000 ft and above
9600 ft, like fires can't be started between those elevations. So if you jumped the
ridge to Breeze you could not have a fire because it is just above 9600 ft. :\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I am also dumbfounded at the logic of allowing any campfires in the sierra, or anywhere in California, in this fire prone drought year.