Day Hike: Tuolumne Meadows to Agnew Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DesertJones
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Day Hike: Tuolumne Meadows to Agnew Meadows

Post by DesertJones »

Hello HST

Next week my buddy and I are going to hike to Agnew Meadow from our camp in Tuolumne Meadows. My research tells me it'll be a 25-30 mile trek (we're okay with that, even with the slog up Donahue).

My question is this:
Once I Get to Thousand Island Lake, what is the shortest/quickest route to Agnew?

Late last month we did the Thousand Island/Garnet/Shadow Lake loop via the PCT High Trail (absolutely breathtaking) without issue. But considering the high mileage on this upcoming hike, we would like to find the shortest path possible from Thousand Island Lake to Agnew Meadow.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted

Re: Day Hike: Tuolumne Meadows to Agnew Meadows

Post by larroyo33 »

From Thousand Island Lake take the PCT briefly and then turn right onto the River Trail at the first junction and take the River Trail back to Agnew Meadows
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

If you've just recently done the TI/Shadow loop out of Agnew, why not exit @ Rush creek on your upcoming day hike from Tuolumne?

The distance from TI lake is almost identical to either the Rush or Agnew THs. I believe Rush is 7.6 miles, whereas Agnew is 7.8.

If you decide to exit @ Rush from TI, you can cut across the Clark lakes, or go .1-.2 miles further and head over Agnew pass from the PCT. Both will take you to Spooky meadow, and then a long descent (2,500') down to Silver lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Jason,

Just a head up, the shuttle stops running the 3rd, if your trip is scheduled after that
you will need to arrange for alternate transportation.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
timachine
Topix Novice

Post by timachine »

Hi DesertJones,

Sorry to go off topic. However, could you tell me about your Thousand Island loop day hike? How long did it take you?

I would be interested in doing this. I've had experience with high mileage days in the Sierras too.

Thank you.
DesertJones
Topix Novice

Post by DesertJones »

Thanks larroyo
River Trail it is.

Maverick - my wife will be picking us up at Agnew, so no problem there.

Timemachine - we did the loop in late July of this year. From the Agnew Meadows parking area we got on the trail around 6:30 am and took the PCT High Trail to TI Lake. It took us about 3 hours to get there as we kept a fairly quick pace and didn't stop much.
We then followed the JMT to Garnet and then to Shadow. This is where we left the JMT and followed a trail along the north shore of Shadow Lake and then down the outflow creek to join the River Trail.
We were back at our car at around 2 with some tired feet.

We had heard that this route would be around 17.5 miles but my GPS had clocked 18.5. So I figure it's somewhere between the two.

Well worth it.