ADVICE: 1st Sierras Trip! North/South Lake Loop + Fishing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ADVICE: 1st Sierras Trip! Seeking epic 7 day trip in Sept.

Post by sekihiker »

The first thing that popped into my head when I read your request for advice was this trip:
http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's point to point, so that may pose a problem.
amarajune
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by amarajune »

Hello helpful folks!

Thanks again for all your wonderful info and recommendations!

So as I am putting together our trip, (we have decided upon the North Lake to South Lake loop), it seems there are many variations but I'm curious if folks recommend going over Lamarck/Darwin or up Piute Pass way, if milage allows either? They are different permits it appears.

Do I need a cross country permit to go into Dusy Basin or Darwin Canyon, and is that instead of the "overnight" permit? Kind of confusing.

Also could someone tell me which National Geo map covers this particular area? Of if you think the Harrison map has better detail for this particular hike?

Side note, what are the best fishing lakes/rivers/creeks on this trip, or what ones don't have fish?? Thanks!

Thank you for all of your help! Getting super excited, also got to move our trip up a week so snow should be less of an issue! :D
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

I don't have any of the Harrison maps yet, but hear good things about them. I do have the almost indestructible NatGeo maps. The #809 Mammoth Lakes Mono Divide is in my lap for a trip this weekend as I type. It is slightly more detailed at 1 inch = 1 mile than the #205 SEKI map (1 inch = 1.3 miles). Lamarck Col use trail is drawn on the former, but not the latter, but the route is not hard to follow and even has a sign to point you the right way at the key junction between upper and lower Lamarck Lakes. The Col itself is labeled on both maps. If you were doing more x-country travel (or want escape routes to be easier to study), you might appreciate maps with even more detailed scale. You can print some for free from various sources. On the south end of your trip, Mammoth-Mono map has an annoying regulations text box covering Dusy Basin east of Ladder Lake, but it is hard to get lost there and Bishop Pass is labeled. On the north end of your trip, the SEKI map does not cover the entire Piute canyon beyond southern Humphreys Basin if you choose that route all the way to the JMT instead of Lamarck Col, but the lakes abutting the north side of Glacier Divide are included and very scenic. It would be hard to get lost given what is included on the map (the JMT junction is labeled/visible).

Both routes are very scenic. Piute is a much less strenuous and less rugged start than Lamarck-Darwin, but much more likely to feel crowded. North Lake to Piute Pass sometimes has great wildflowers that are likely dried up by now. There are passes you can use to see great parts of both areas that may be more difficult than you want to take on (The Keyhole or Alpine Col.). It is all very scenic, but others know more as I only got around to visiting the backcountry from North Lake for the first time this July.

Edit for additional info.:

On either end of your trip, I have seen recent trip reports and threads including information on fishing in Dusy Basin as well as Humphreys Basin. The latter you might not visit, but fishing sounded good there. You may want to spend more time farther from the trailhead than doddling in Humphreys, but it is a scenic area.

Keep an eye on what this guy says about weather: http://mammothweather.com/howards-forecast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
amarajune
Topix Novice

Post by amarajune »

Great! Got my map today. Thanks for the help. Will check some threads and see if I can find more about the fishing. I have a brand new 6 piece that needs broken in!
And thanks for the great link for the weather!

Also got new bear spray as mine was expired. :) Any word on bear activity in this area in mid-Sept?

Anyone else? Great lakes to fish, (or not fish?) along the North Lake/South Lake route?

Thanks! Getting so excited for our first tromp in the Sierras!! Permit secured. :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: ADVICE: 1st Sierras Trip! North/South Lake Loop + Fishing

Post by rlown »

You don't really need the bear spray as long as you keep a clean camp and use a bear can.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

I second what rlown says
rlown wrote:You don't really need the bear spray as long as you keep a clean camp and use a bear can.
Don't be afraid of the wildlife, be aware of it.

And finally, if you use the search function, there is a wealth of information to be found in many threads.

Enjoy your time if you visit Humphreys Basin - it is a magical place.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
amarajune
Topix Novice

Post by amarajune »

Thanks all! I'll do some searching on the lakes along the hike and see what I can learn about the fishing!

Not at all afraid of wildlife, done LOTS of traveling in bear country, (AK, MT, WY) but I do think it's wise to be prepared to best ward off any unpleasant encounters should they occur, for the best outcome for all involved. We also have a canister and will be keeping a clean camp. Just wanted to know if they're curious of bothersome or if they're even active in that area as I've never been there. :)

Thanks again to everyone who helped give some direction on our trip. T minus 7 days til' we hit the trailhead! :D
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

We did the classic N-S Lake Loop in July 2013. Definitely an awesome hike that covers many Sierra highlights.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We stuck to the trail for the entire route. I didn't find the number of hikers we encountered too bothersome, but that's a personal thing. The trail intersections and pass summits generally had a few people lingering, but no camping near people or difficulty finding camping spots.

I didn't bring a pole, but my brother pulled out fish just about everywhere he dropped a line along the trail. Nothing remarkable though.

Water shouldn't be an issue if you stick to the trail. It follows good flows the entire route.

As for bears, I agree with other comments. Just keep the campsite clean and cannister located at night so they can play with it if they want to (ie away from camp). I put reflective tape on mine so I can find it when they're done having fun.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

amarajune wrote: Not at all afraid of wildlife, done LOTS of traveling in bear country, (AK, MT, WY) but I do think it's wise to be prepared to best ward off any unpleasant encounters should they occur, for the best outcome for all involved. We also have a canister and will be keeping a clean camp. Just wanted to know if they're curious of bothersome or if they're even active in that area as I've never been there. :)
These are black bears here so its a bit different than a brown bear or a Griz. The bears up there aren't bothersome.

I hope you have a can of Marmot spray, because they'll give you more problems than the bears will. :) ;)

If you camp near their "rock", they will check out your gear and gnaw on anything salty, like shoelaces, trekking pole handles, etc...
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The black bears in the states you mentioned are much more aggressive than those you find in the Sierra. As of a couple of weeks ago, they were quite active in the North lake, South lake area and I could see why. Once we hit 10k, the wild currants were fully ripe and plentiful. Below 10k, they were spent with dried berries all over the trail.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.