Wind River Trips, status report

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Wind River Trips, status report

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Hi. I am still alive! I am waiting on the weather to improve for my last trip here. Just came out from Tourist Creek (Green River Lakes TH) after five days of miserable rain. Met a few Continental Divide hikers. Those are tough guys to go all those miles every day, even in this horrible weather. Yesterday there was 6 inches of snow above 10,000 feet. Two or three more cool days in the forecast - not good for melting snow. This has been one of the most rainy seasons in the Wind Rivers in a long time. Good for the mountains (after nearly seven years of drought), but makes backpacks wet adventures. The last few days reminded me of being back in the Pacific NW! Trip reports will be forthcoming when I get home in about 10 days.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wind River Trips, status report

Post by maverick »

Glad to read that you are alright WD, been watching the weather for the Rockies
the last few weeks, and have see there has been a bit of weather related
disturbances. Hope your having a great time, and looking forward to your in-depth
report.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Eiprahs »

Been waiting for your trip report(s)--a highlight of HST--and missing your posts.

Travel light and don't let the grizzlies bite.
Dave
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Good to hear from you WD! Its been pretty wet in the Sierra the last month as well, but I'm guessing exponentially less than back that way from what I heard. Did you pack your fly rod this year in the Winds?
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
mtncanyon
Topix Newbie

Post by mtncanyon »

Sorry I didn't meet up with you. Thx for all the info and ideas you have given me and others for our Wind River adventures. If you have been in the Winds most of the past month your hard core. I know the weather has been very challenging to say the least......
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am going back tomorrow. Weather forecast is for a couple of good days then the usual afternoon storms. Staying pretty close to trails so I can easily bail out if needed. Leaving a detailed travel plan with friends. Going directly into Titcomb Basin then over to Bridger Lakes (lower elevations for the latter part of the trip, so hopefully will stay out of snow).

Yes, I fished, but only on the Reservation. Too expensive to buy a Wyoming out-of-state fishing license. For use old geezers, the Reservation license is about half the price of the Wyoming state license (no geezer discount). You have to buy the Reservation license as a crossing permit, whether you fish or not, so in some ways, the fishing is free. Very good fishing on the Reservation too.

Amazingly, I have run into mostly old folks this summer. Many 60-70-year-olds doing pretty hard core off-trail routes!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

When I checked the weather before leaving Lander, very unsettled weather was forecast with snow above 10,200 feet. Arriving in Farson en route to the trailhead at Elkhart Park, I decided to instead turn south and bail before I even started the trip! It poured rain all the way to SLC as I drove towards home. Got home today. A bit disappointing, but now I am already packed up for a 7-day trip in the Sierra, where hopefully, chance of snow is a bit less. Thus ends one of the most rainy seasons I have ever had in the Wind Rivers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

WD,

Check you PM please.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org