JMT

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

JMT

Post by don norton »

I hope to hike the JMT this summer will a Jet Boil stove work ok if not what?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

JMT...JetBoil? sure, but..

Need a little more info...how long? Days on trail?...
Resupply points...solo?
Are you fishing...eating only freeze dried?

I found that after a week or so, those foil-lined packages start to taste like chit...IMHO
Mountainman who swims with trout
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Ridgeline and Trailbud use the Jet Boil. Maybe they can give you more info on it. They were using it last spring on our Topix trip. PM them if they don't answer here.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yes, keep us posted on this! I've heard that it's pretty much for freeze-dried food, period, but I haven't really researched it much. (BTW, shouldn't this really go into the outdoor gear forum?)
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

My son and I used the jetboil for our trip along the JMT last summer. Our highest camp was around 9500 feeet. We used it to heat water for our freeze dried food. It worked well for that.
Pros : Works well, good windscreen
Cons: Kinda pricey, kinda big, on the heavy side compared to other stoves.
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

Jet Boil fuel to boiling water output

Post by Trail Bud »

Hi All,
Here's some good information I wanted to share on the Jet Boil. The Jet Boil will boil 12 liters of water (3.17 gallons) per 100 grams of fuel. So you will get a little more then that from your 110 gram can. That's the small can that fits inside the stove. It will burn less efficient at attitude too.
Take care.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

At around 10000' with the fuel canister on snow, in freezing temps all night the stove would ignite with one click of the built in igniter (no matches needed). Have not tried the stove above 11000', and like I said in my pm message, have the water or snow in the stove prior to ignition, these babies get real hot real fast and you will start burning metal.
don norton
Topix Acquainted

jet boil stove

Post by don norton »

I can answer my own question now it worked like a champ should on Mt Whitney. I went solo and I had a large canister and it lasted the entire trip 22 days wit fuel left over boiled water in the morning and dinner. Can't beat Jet Boil they have it down pat for efficency
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I've used both the Jetboil and an Optimus Crux cannister stove on the JMT.

Jetboil Pros over the Crux:
- incredibly efficient - I went through 8 days on the JMT and used less than half of a medium canister for 2-3 boils a day (under optimal weather conditions).
- boils FAST (make sure you have your food ready for that boiling water BEFORE you hit the ignitor or you'll be scrambling when your water is boiling moments later! Not that I do that all the time or anything.... :paranoid:)
- 'Brainless operation', I call it. It is so easy to use and I like the minimal fussiness at the end of a long day or early in the morning.
Handles the wind pretty well.

Jetboil cons over the Crux:
Heavier
Takes up a lot of pack space compared to the crux and the small snowpeak pot I use with it.

For me, it's a toss up. I keep going back and forth between the two stoves - still can't figure out which I prefer. The optimus wins in categories that are really important to me - weight and space, but the Jetboil knocks it out of the park for everything else.
frediver
Topix Regular

Jet Boil cup

Post by frediver »

Has anyine tried using a jet boil cup on a differedt model of stove using a lower heat setting ?