6 Days to Explore

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dbogey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

6 Days to Explore

Post by dbogey »

If all goes well I'll be heading out to the Sierra's in a few weeks. I've spent a week on the SHR but have not made it into the Evolution Basin area. I have read and re-read trip reports from this forum and other websites and wanted to put together an aswesome 6 day trip. I'm looking at doing the North/South Lake route with a lot of side trips. I'll be bringing my fishing gear to supplement my nightly dinners on a few nights. If anyone has some must see places in this area, great camping spots, fishing holes, please let me know or PM me if you'd rather keep it private. One area that I've decided to get into was Ladder Lake.

thanks

I'll be going solo unless my HST buddy form socal shows up :\
Just another day in paradise
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: 6 Days to Explore

Post by overheadx2 »

PM sent
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Just a note of caution. A few weeks from now will be mid-September, and the weather can be pretty unpredictable. Just make sure you give yourself an escape route if the weather looks bad.

God knows it hasn't snowed or rained in California for what seems like years, but we got freezing temps last week in the Hoover Wilderness....and a big snowstorm isn't out of the question in September.

I know you are coming from far away, but don't let that force you into camping three days from the trailhead when the storm hits.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

balzaccom is absolutely correct. One very active member here was out solo at the same time two years ago. He got caught by an early snow storm and perished. Hypothermia is not something to be taken lightly. Being out in potential snow conditions is risky for someone who does not have experience and preferably training in snow camping techniques. You also need the correct gear. Please be careful and ask for advice.