Headin' down the East Side next week...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Headin' down the East Side next week...

Post by SteveB »

.. for a bit of a photography vacation, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent place to stay in Bridgeport or Bishop! Usually just pitch my tent somewhere near Twin Lakes when I'm in the area, but I want to get out of the weather this time!

Any suggestions? Even spreading the trip out between Mammoth and Lone Pine would work...

Thanks!
SteveB
SierraVisions
Founding Member

Post by SierraVisions »

Hey Steve,
In Bishop The Creekside Inn is the nicest place in town and will cost only a little more than most places and less than some. They should be about $95 a night right now. If you're looking for something a little less, try The Trees Motel on Line Street. Don't know the rates, but it's a nice little place.
In Bridgeport your only bet might be the Bridgeport Inn. A lot of places close for the winter up there (Not that there are a lot of place in Bridgeport :-)
Hope you get some good shots while over here. The photography has gotten better now that there is some snow on the mountains. The last couple months have been pretty dull.
Steven
DJG
Founding Member

Post by DJG »

Don't know about Bridgeport, there's only a couple places.

After many years we've given up on the El Rancho Motel in Bishop as the owners don't seem to keep the place up anymore (modest rates at least) in favor of the Best Western in town. Lots to choose from in Bishop and would recommend reservations during the holidays.

There's a Holiday Inn in Mammoth, very comfortable. But I like the Alpenhoff Lodge more (a little more modest). Both have good central locations in town.

Hope this helps.
Have a good trip.
Dan
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!! :)

I did notice while perusing Mammoth places that their prices are easily 3-4 times what they are elsewhere! Woof! Gotta love ski season! :p
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Hi Steve

If Lee Vining works for you, Murphy’s Hotel is open during winter and reasonably priced in the $60 range. They have one small room for less, you have to ask if it's available. Have fun shooting the sunrise New Years day, my sunrise view will be in the Channel Islands.

http://www.murpheysyosemite.com/
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I know several people that recomend "The Trees" hotel in Bishop. They say it's nice, clean and in the $50-$60 range.
Gary C.
wingding

Post by wingding »

The Ramada in Bishop is clean and not too expensive.

I sure wasn't impressed with the Best Western in Lee Vining.
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

I stayed in the Trees motel in Bishop ($50.-/night). Very nice couple running it. The Trees motel is small, but clean and people are not very noisy at night. I loved staying there during my quest for fall colors.
I can also recommend Murphy's in Lee Vining, I believe its $65.-/night.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

We stayed at Murphy's in Lee Vining and was happy with it (I had a dog back then, and they allowed Bear to stay). That was in the mid 80s.

A few years ago we stayed at Lake View Motel (or something like that, south end of town). I would NOT recommend that plce. It was NYE and that was the only place available. We snowboarded into the new year and wanted a warm place after, since we were carcamping the rest of the trip. We got settled in, and later found two dead mice under the bathroom sink cabinet. One was a clump of fur and had been there awhile, and the other one looked like it died recently. Don't go there.

Trees in Bishop was good.

Dow Villa in Lone Pine is supposed to be good.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;