Pizza and breakfast burritos in dusy

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Pizza and breakfast burritos in dusy

Post by overheadx2 »

Just got back from Dusy Basin and tried some culinary adventure to try and make dinner better. had the usual spaghetti with pesto and made some biscuits, but tried to make a pizza and some breakfast burritos. It went extremely well. I was shocked at how good the pizza was. Betty Crocker pizza dough mix, spaghetti mix with dehydrated paste, dried mushrooms, dehydrated black olives, a small stick of pepperoni and dehydrated mozzarella cheese and cook for 5 to 8 minutes on low. I added 2 sticks of string cheese just in case, but it didn't need it, and I wont next time. I swear it was as good as home. The ova easy eggs and cheesy dehydrated hash brown along with some smoked bacon and some hot sauce (del scorcho packs next time) made for a great break fast burrito.Also, the key to the pizza and most other items is to cover the pan with HD aluminum foil so that the top cooks as well.
Last edited by overheadx2 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pizza and breakfast burritos in dusy

Post by rlown »

looks delicious! Thanks for the recipes. What stove did you cook it on? Think i see it in the last pic off to the side but just asking.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I use a simple bottle propane super light stove. Not sure which. I prop up the pot on two rocks around the stove and put aluminum foil around the bottom of the pot as a wind shield. I also place a very small flat stone on the stove prongs as a heat diffuser for anything but boiling water so that the bread, fish, eggs and Pizza don't burn in the middle.
Mdmustang302
Topix Novice

Post by Mdmustang302 »

That's a great idea.. Putting a small flat rock to diffuse the heat seems so logical haha.. Never thought of that.. I will have to keep that in mind!! Thanks for the recipe's!!
"..The mountains are calling, and I must go..." -John Muir
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

What MDm just said! The stone was the key! Thx
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Slight modification to the pizza. We made pizza one night, but got to camp tired the second pizza night so I tried to make things easier to cook and it was great. I used water and spegetti mix w the Betty Crocker dough. I then added rehydrated mozzerella, parmasean, pepperoni, rehydrated olives, a little oil and rehydrated shitaki mushrooms to the mix and cooked it like a pancake into Italian bread. Very simple and easy. More importantly, it tasted great.