TR 7/31-8/2 Dana Mdws-Kuna Col-Lost, Crest Cr., Alger Lks et

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR 7/31-8/2 Dana Mdws-Kuna Col-Lost, Crest Cr., Alger Lks et

Post by SSSdave »

For years I've had maked on the topo what you call Kuna Col, while not being certain it would be class 2. Thanks for that info. At less than 7 miles and 1300 feet from the trailhead, it makes getting to the no name lake basins west side of Kuna Crest less effort than Tuolumne Meadows that is about 9 miles and 2200 feet. To make that more practical, I would probably night hike 3 hours to Summit Lake across the park border before going over the crest the next morning. Not surprising the middle Lost Lake does not have fish because given its position in the basin, would expect just has a small stream during snowmelt too limited for spawning. On the Kuna Creek side would expect 10806 might support goldens. Too bad about the Kuna Crest noname lake since you had to climb an extra 1k to get up there. From the map it looks like it should have had fish as well as the lake at 10480+. Maybe some frog work?

I will probably mark up spreadsheet for a future 5-day early August trip over Kuna Col that will spend a couple days in the Kuna Creek headwaters and then a day over at the lower se Lost Lake.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

SSSdave wrote:For years I've had maked on the topo what you call Kuna Col, while not being certain it would be class 2. Thanks for that info. At less than 7 miles and 1300 feet from the trailhead, it makes getting to the no name lake basins west side of Kuna Crest less effort than Tuolumne Meadows that is about 9 miles and 2200 feet. To make that more practical, I would probably night hike 3 hours to Summit Lake across the park border before going over the crest the next morning. Not surprising the middle Lost Lake does not have fish because given its position in the basin, would expect just has a small stream during snowmelt too limited for spawning. On the Kuna Creek side would expect 10806 might support goldens. Too bad about the Kuna Crest noname lake since you had to climb an extra 1k to get up there. From the map it looks like it should have had fish as well as the lake at 10480+. Maybe some frog work?

I will probably mark up spreadsheet for a future 5-day early August trip over Kuna Col that will spend a couple days in the Kuna Creek headwaters and then a day over at the lower se Lost Lake.
Hi Dave, I was just checking Secor (after the fact) and he has that pass in there as "Kuna Crest Pass" and he also lists it as class 2. This is an pretty mellow class 2 pass because there is a pretty swath area W of the low point that is rather moderate class 2 talus and this is pretty visually obvious when viewing it from Helen Lake and during ascent from Helen. If you go directly to the lowest point, staying in the axis of the chute, you would probably encounter a bit of steep snow above which things look steep, slabby, and probably class 3. The broad class 2 area to the west of the axis of the chute offers many possibilities, and one can minimize the angle of hiking by zig zagging on benches or zones of somewhat lower-angle talus. Note, however, that the elevation gain from Dana Meadows is closer to 2200' (~9600' the low point just out Dana Mdws on the trail; Kuna Crest Pass 11760+) rather than 1300' but the distance is pretty short (~6 mi).

As for the lakes in the upper Kuna Creek drainage, most of them are too shallow to avoid winter kill, but I did not do a thorough scouting of them. The largest one is the one at 11440+ and that one did indeed look rather fishless, but I didn't sent any casts in there. The suspicious ones, as you note, are at 10400+ and 10800+ on the trunk stream, and I did not descend to verify whether or not they had fish or not. If I had another day, I would have certainly descended to investigate.

Interesting about the "middle" vs SE Lost, too. I think the CDFW accidentally switched those on their electronic fishing guide that shows the SE one as fishless and the middle one as having fish. Their raw data includes surveys for all four lakes (including the little lakelet downstream of the big NW lake) and I can see how that data would be interpreted to consider all four self sustaining. However, I think the middle one may have been knocked out by winterkill.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

giantbrookie,
Fabulous TR that makes me look forward to many more! A few comments/questions:
1) The advice not to use Rush Creek was excellent, because my one trip to the Losts (2 years ago) was after a very profitable summer for the Silver Lake pack station. The entire trail to Agnew, Gem and Waugh Lakes was thoroughly fertilized and smelled like a stable. With a spouse with a very keen nose, she was not thrilled. Rush Creek is permanently off our list. It's probably fine in June, but then, caveat emptor. Of course, the rains this year may have helped blunt the impact.
2) Thanks especially for the rocks/glaciers Geology 101. I'm frankly amazed that the glacier was in as good shape as it was! I've taken a couple trips with a pal who is a geologist, and it thoroughly enriches the trip. I try to take mental notes, but what I really need is a formal course to put everything into perspective. With retirement looming, it just may happen.
3) Your description of the unsurpassed "water feature" forced me to think back on the situations where I'd been particularly stunned by moving water in the back country. I've visited lake 10,212 (or 10, 232?) on the western border of Ionian basin (south of Martha Lake), during massive runoffs and the myriad streams and streamlets cascading into the lake over a hillside festooned with wildflowers has been absolutely stunning. On one occasion, the waters flowing into Hamilton Lake almost reached the same level. Regardless, I'm very much looking forward to comparing these examples to the scene you described!
4) I've been using a REI Quarterdome for a couple years now and it's been great through some very capricious weather. Sounds like that whole line of tents is a winner.
5) How long until you start introducing the kids to the mountains? I just got back from a trip where a dad with three children (the youngest was 8 with an 8 lb pack) was just gloating on the ridge of Glenn Pass. They were ridiculously happy campers for whom the journey is just beginning. I was envious (in a good way).
cameron
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

cgundersen wrote: 3) Your description of the unsurpassed "water feature" forced me to think back on the situations where I'd been particularly stunned by moving water in the back country. I've visited lake 10,212 (or 10, 232?) on the western border of Ionian basin (south of Martha Lake), during massive runoffs and the myriad streams and streamlets cascading into the lake over a hillside festooned with wildflowers has been absolutely stunning. On one occasion, the waters flowing into Hamilton Lake almost reached the same level. Regardless, I'm very much looking forward to comparing these examples to the scene you described!
5) How long until you start introducing the kids to the mountains? I just got back from a trip where a dad with three children (the youngest was 8 with an 8 lb pack) was just gloating on the ridge of Glenn Pass. They were ridiculously happy campers for whom the journey is just beginning. I was envious (in a good way).
cameron
The cascades and slot canyons into 10232 are grand indeed. What is interesting about the Parker Creek cascade is that it is flowing so well after three straight dry years and at the beginning of August. I can only imagine what it must be like early season. The key to Parker Creek having that much water in it of course is that it is one of those rare, glacially-fed streams, so long after the seasonal snowfall has melted, the creek is nicely fed by those rapidly diminishing little glaciers. In fact the entire family was hiking along another such stream today, Conness Creek, on an unsuccessful mission to catch goldens (neither of the kids have caught one yet). The kids have been going on trips with us for awhile, but we haven't really taken them on something beyond very short hikes, although the few backpacks we've done have been almost entirely off trail (short, but off trail). The kids are rapidly becoming stronger (oldest, Lee, is 12, younger one, Dawn, is 8 and turns 9 in Oct), so next year we're tentatively targeting a spot that is about 7 mi in. This year the entire family has gone on three trips: one backpack (fishing forum "Waters of 168 Country"), one dayhike to another 168 location, and one car camping trip (just returned this evening) in the Tioga Pass area (hikes to Gaylor and Conness Lakes). Lee also went on the first father-son only dayhike earlier this year to another spot near Courtright L. We may do a fall dayhike somewhere in Yosemite.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Thanks for great report and photos. Kuna Crest, including a visit to Lost Lakes, has been on my list for a long time. This is super helpful for route planning! Bookmarked this for the detailed recon.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Thanks for the TR report GB. That's an area I need to visit more.

Texan
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi GB,
I've been pre-occupied with the guy who was lost in Gardiner basin and Schmalz just posted the tragic news. I'm looking for a silver lining and re-read your post, but I still feel crappy. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, and best wishes for a whole slew of great trips down the line: with and without your young sherpas!
cameron
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

cgundersen wrote:Hi GB,
I've been pre-occupied with the guy who was lost in Gardiner basin and Schmalz just posted the tragic news. I'm looking for a silver lining and re-read your post, but I still feel crappy.
I hear you. This has been a rather grim summer (makes two in a row) and it was a particularly tragic weekend what with that other fellow falling off Matthes Crest hours after after proposing to his girlfriend.

On a more pleasant note, regarding the little Sherpas, I guess I'm still the pack mule, and will be for awhile, as my dad was when I was growing up. I'm somewhat medium height (5'10.5") but my dad was 5'3" and would carry this immense pack that routinely weighed >60lbs--the pack set up looked taller than him. I would call my dad "The American Sherpa". I probably hefted 80-90 lbs on the first family trip (when the younger one, Dawn, was not hiking mobile yet) years ago, but I don't think I carried more than about 50lbs on the last overnighter with them.

After the Lost Lake trip, though, I am rethinking my ways after my hiking partner, who is no great fan of ultralight philosophy, noticed that my pack seemed about twice as heavy as his even though we had made great efforts to divide common items between us. Whereas I don't really have issues with the weight of pack I currently carry, I also see no reason to carry more weight than I have to--I am going to be looking into some equipment upgrades, I think.
beretta391
Topix Newbie

Post by beretta391 »

Wonderful read and it sounds like a great trip. I plan to visit the Alger lakes in a little over a week and this story has me even more excited. I plan on doing a little CPR (catch picture release) of any of the golden bows that want to tempt my lure. I look forward to my first report.