Sixty Lake Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
peninsula
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Sixty Lake Basin

Post by peninsula »

I'm planning to go over Baxter Pass late September. I'll revisit Rae Lakes and continue around Fin Dome into Sixty Lake Basin. I'm interested in exiting Sixty Lake x-country from its northern end and rejoin the JMT at the Baxter Creek junction with the South Fork of Woods Creek and continue northward.

If anyone has made this particular x-country exit from Sixty Lake, I'd appreciate feedback regarding the terrain. It looks doable, but I've been fooled before!

Cheers,

Greg
Jim F
Topix Regular

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Post by Jim F »

Greg,

A common exit from Sixty Lakes Basin back onto the JMT is over Basin Notch. It drops you back on the JMT between Dollar Lake and Arrowhead Lake (just south of where the Baxter Pass Trail hits the JMT). To get out of the Sixty Lakes Basin this way, I have basically used my map, compass, and the Fin Dome landmark. Descending the terrain from the Notch is not difficult. A note I made from a previous trip said, "followed an increasing faint trail north (in the Sixty Lakes Basin), then cut between two small lakes eastward and headed uphill roughly 100' to what I assumed was Basin Notch,with subsequent unremarkable descent to JMT."

Note that from the point from where the Basin Notch exit leaves you on the JMT, the crossing of Baxter Creek is still one mile north on the JMT. So this might not be what you are seeking. Maybe others on this forum have experience with an exit near the Baxter Creek crossing.

Hope this helps some.

Jim
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

Jim,

I see the notch on my map, and it looks reasonably straight forward. The route I was considering is a bit farther to the north. An exit from the basin more to the north fits better with my itinerary, but I'm flexible on options. I'll attach a jpg marking the route I had considered, it is vaguely defined by the red "push pins". The notch you describe looks like that by the letter "n" in the word "Sixty Lake Basin".

Thank you!

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

I also used Basin Notch on my hike 2 years ago. It was easy to find and descend. While I was in 60 Lake Basin I spoke with a ranger and we discussed following the creek all the way down. He said a trail crew had done it for fun and it was doable but much more rugged than they had thought it would be. Sorry I can't offer something more specific for you. If you go that way please share some pics.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I went over the gap just north of basin notch I don't recommend it. I saw the correct route once I was down it looked much easier.the next gap north of the one I took looked even worse.
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

I think I've misunderstood where Basin Notch is located. Is it the entrance/exit to Sixty Lake just south of Fin Dome? That is the way I plan on entering. It sounds like that might be the best way to exit unless Basin Notch is to the North of Fin Dome.

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Basin Notch is located here:HST Map and is an easy class 1 Peninsula, long time no see.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

maverick wrote:Basin Notch is located here:HST Map and is an easy class 1 Peninsula, long time no see.
Maverick,

That clears things up. Looks like I can save time exiting via Basin Notch. Has been awhile... still on my feet and enjoying the SEKI backcountry. I'll share a trip report when all is said and done near the end of September.

Thank you!
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

If coming in via Glen pass enter 60 lakes basin over Rae col. Its a great way to cruise through the whole basin if you have time.(hst map)
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

The hermit wrote:If coming in via Glen pass enter 60 lakes basin over Rae col. Its a great way to cruise through the whole basin if you have time.(hst map)
Hermit,

I studied that option two years ago, and if I was not entering over Baxter Pass, that is exactly what I would have planned. I'm looking forward to seeing Sixty Lake Basin, it has been on my list of must-see locations after visiting Rae Lakes and Dragon Lake about 10 years back. Two years ago, I visited the lakes below Window Peak. The view towards Fin Dome and Rae Lakes Basin rekindled my desire to make this year's trip. After visiting Sixty Lake, I'll revisit the lakes below Window Peak. It is an awesome location! My inspiration to visit below Window Peak was the book about Randy Morgenson, The Last Season. From there, I'll exit over Sawmill. I'll attach an image overlooking the lower Window Peak Lakes with Fin Dome in the background.

Thanks!