Death Valley Topix Trip Report and Photos

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

great pictures for trailtrekker & mtnflyer

those rocks are known to us locals as "fish rocks" - you can see the road used to run right beside them - but when the road was redone they routed away.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Great photos, both of you! Cool stuff! I just love that hawk, Joe! Looking forward to the others.

I'll be in Mammoth for the next two weeks but might get lucky and get a connection. I'll check in when I can!

Call if you want to hike! I'll have my cell on.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MtnBykGirl
Topix Newbie

Post by MtnBykGirl »

I had an awesome weekend peak bagging with all of you. Thank you all for being so welcoming. It's been a very busy week for me and I haven't had a chunk of time to download and look at my pictures yet. But all of the pictures that have been posted here this week bring to mind many great memories of last weekend. A special thanks to Snow Nymph for letting me join your group and to Tomcat for leading us on a great hike to Argus Peak. I hope to join you again real soon!!!
Take care,
MtnBykGirl :D
Sierragator
Founding Member

Post by Sierragator »

As you can seen from Sooz's pix from Towne pass the next morning the snow stuck above about 4k feet. When I got over to the Corkscrew area it was snow covered over there as well. Would have tried anyway except for two factors: 1) it was socked in with low clouds (CSS conditions) and I didn't have corkscrew's gps coord. loaded into my gps. On the other side of Daylight pass the snow was all the way down to the valley floor to well south of Beatty, quite the winter wonderland.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Tomcat..Thank you so much for your trip report! I sure enjoyed reading it..sure sounds like a wonderful awesome adventure you all had. I would have loved to have joined in on this trip :crybaby: ..im hoping you all will do another late winter or spring DV adventure..would love to get to the desert again soon :D

Been enjoying everyone's beautiful pictures...pretty cool to get that snow I bet..looks beautiful there in the desert environment.
Thanks everyone for posting your pictures!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

ty Anita and everyone else for enjoying and commenting on my trip report. And thanks everyone for posting pictures too - they are memories that last a lifetime(I hope). look forward to another topix trip down the road - let the planners work their magic after the holidays.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

I finally got my pix up. Here's the shots from Pinto Peak

My camera batteries died on day 2, and despite replacing them with fully charged ones, I think the "charged" ones are bad, cuz they didn't hold their charge very long. The 16 shots I do have of Sunday's hike are here.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Just wanted you all to know how much I have enjoyed your photos from the trip. What great shots and beautiful pictures you have recorded. Thank you for sharing them.

I have to get out of the dark ages and buy myself a digital camera. I'm missing out!

Happy New Year!
Norma
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

!!

Post by Snow Nymph »

Great photos, Robin! Fun trip! Aren't they all?

Internet connection is on/off here at Looney Bean :(

Norma, I've been using the "Claire Knot" and its great! Better than the double knots for my snowboarding boots! They don't loosen up! Thanks for the tip!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;