2014 Fire & Smoke Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 Fire & Smoke Reports

Post by markskor »

Today Mammoth Lakes, awoke to blue skies and no smoke.
Maybe the wind just temporarily shifted but the first clear day seen in the last 9 days...
Sierra glorious!
Mountainman who swims with trout
mauhler31
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by mauhler31 »

I just spent 8/4-8/8 around Ediza and Thousand Island Lakes. No signs of smoke at all. It rained a lot Monday for most of the day, hailed on Wednesday evening, and light afternoon thunderstorm on Thursday, which probably helped clear out the smoke. When I got back to town Friday, I could smell smoke very faintly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

French Creek Fire

Post by maverick »

An investigation has concluded that an abandoned campfire near the Rock Creek
Campground was the cause of the French Fire. The abandoned campfire was located
towards the bottom of Rock Creek Road, near the San Joaquin River. Investigators
are asking for the public’s help for information about anyone who was seen in the
area of Rock Creek Road near the San Joaquin River during the afternoon or evening
of Sunday July 27. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the 559-877-2218
ext. 3116.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Junction Fire

Post by Shawn »

Wasn't sure which section to post this under, as it affects backpacking/hiking/camping I put it here pending mods review

The "Junction Fire" started in Oakhurst earlier today and as of this writing is burning out of control to the east of town. Highway 41 was closed to westbound traffic out of Yosemite which is being re-routed.

Seems the most current info is here:
https://www.facebook.com/MaderaSheriff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Way Fire 8/18

Post by maverick »

Sequoia NF 3195 acres: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4086/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Junction Fire 8/18

Post by maverick »

612 acres near Bass Lake / Oakhurst: http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/in ... nt_id=1037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Planning to get out for a few days and nights heading out of the Mammoth Lakes area next Wednesday, 9/3/14. Wondering how the conditions are with regards to smoke in the air.
I checked the Inciweb link, but it doesn't show any fires in that vicinity.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Herm,
Looking out my bedroom window, azure blue skies above Mammoth Crest, highs around 70, and no smoke - in short, fricking perfect. (as of 10:30 Saturday morning). Some high clouds coming in from the Southeast.
Last week Tuolumne (BTW, just got back last night)...highs in the high 60's, lows in the 30's.
If I can be of any other help locally, drop me a PM.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Thanks Mark, sounds great. I really appreciate the reply. Hopefully, conditions will continue in their current near ideal state.

Herm
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

I just returned home this evening from a trip over Duck Pass. On the drive out of the Mammoth Lakes Basin, it became evident that something bad was going on in the vicinity of Yosemite. A huge plume of smoke rose behind Mounts Ritter and Banner, with the smoke being blown north and east by strong winds. Otherwise, during my trip Thursday through Sunday, there weren't any such issues. Hope this fire can be quickly corralled.

Herm