Red's Meadow info

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
drembo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Red's Meadow info

Post by drembo »

I am leaving for a JMT trip on Wednesday. How hard is it to find a campsite around Red's Meadow and what does it cost to take a shower there, is there generally a wait?. I will be pulling in from Thousand Island lake on a Monday and am hoping to eat dinner and breakfast there.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Red's Meadow info

Post by gary c. »

There is a backpacker camp in the campground, ask directions at the store. It will be crowded this time of year and they will charge you but I'm sure you can squeeze in for a night. I'm not sure if there are still any showers available after reading here that the free ones have been closed.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
SouthMark
Topix Novice

Post by SouthMark »

I read on the JMT fb group that the shower at the store was open. $9 including towel.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

There isn't a per person walk-in rate. The sites are $22 per night. You save money by sharing a site (up to 6 people). Another popular method of saving money is to arrive late and leave early without paying anything.