TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Nevada
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15

Post by Nevada »

Dates: August 11-15, 2014.
Mosquitos: 0
Equipment: Backpacking/Bear Cans
Summary: From Devil's Postpile up Snow Canyon (Fern Lake Trailhead permit), return down Beck Lakes trail.
Experience: 1 experienced thru-hiker, two novices.
Special: Camped overnight before trip at Devil's Postpile National Monument campground;(easy to secure a first come, first served site on a Monday at 2 PM ($14/night). Parked vehicle near the trailhead (0.3 miles north of Devil's Postpile Ranger Station) in a backcountry parking area. Parking area has a bear locker for use during your trip.
Enjoy your beautiful 15 to 25 mile 4 day backpacking loop! Use the Tom Harrison Devils Postpile Minarets Map. You won't need to take the shuttle into this area if you camp in the valley. Just pay the $10 use fee at the Minaret Summit Forest Service Kiosk and tell the guard you are camping at one of the many Forest Service campsites or the Devils Postpile campsite. (They have a list of the still open first served campsites available.) If its not a weekend, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a campsite. You could even enter the valley after 7 PM and stealth camp at the backcountry parking area if necessary (just sayin'). You will still pay the use fee if you come back out before 7 PM on the day of your exit, or just drive straight out if after 7 PM. Easy Peasy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maverick on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject/date input
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile National Monum

Post by maverick »

Hi Nevada,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for taking the time to write up this wonderful TR and pictures. :)
Yes, Ashley Lake is beautiful, and well worth a visit.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Nevada
Topix Novice

Re: TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15

Post by Nevada »

Thank you Maverick. We appreciate the work you do in moderating this blog and we found it very helpful in planning this trip. It was our inaugural visit to the Sierra and we look forward to visiting again!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Nice trip report. I've been up the Beck Lakes trail starting a section of Roper's High Route many years ago. Want to get to the Fern/Anona Lakes area someday. Thanks for the photos.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Thanks for the trip report. I've had this exact loop in mind for a few years and it's nice to see some pictures of it.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nevada
Topix Novice

Post by Nevada »

Thank you oldhikerQ and Schmalz for your kind replies. It was a perfect trail to be introduced to the eastern Sierra and we saw fewer than 5 people at what everyone has warned is the height of the hiking season in the Ansel Adams-JMT-PCT corridor. I will do it again and look forward to exploring Ropers myself. Happy trails...
Nevada
Topix Novice

Post by Nevada »

schmalz wrote:Thanks for the trip report. I've had this exact loop in mind for a few years and it's nice to see some pictures of it.
I see that you seek dog friendly routes. This one qualifies. We did see one family with a couple of dogs and they were doing well...
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks for posting a trip report on this area. Your camping and entrance info is helpful, as well. You make this area sound like it is worth a visit.
Nevada
Topix Novice

Post by Nevada »

You're welcome. We were looking for a quiet trip during the height of the season. It was perfect for us. Lots of opportunities on this loop, and fewer people.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am glad you had a good trip with few people encountered. I was in that area in 2010 about the same time of year and it was loaded with people! There was an entire college class at Fern Lake, many horse riders at Anona Lake, and then another large horse group at another lake. I guess the best thing to do is ask when you get your permit to see how many other permits have been issued in the previous few days, particularly organized groups. It is a beautiful area.