Backcountry Binoculars

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backcountry Binoculars

Post by Vaca Russ »

Team,

I'm joining Maverick on his search for Matthew Greene. I need a recommendation for a good pair of backcountry binoculars.

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Binoculars

Post by paul »

Well, I can't tell you much about GOOD binoculars since I can't afford those. But I do have experience with cheap and really cheap units, and I have found that there isn't much difference between the $60 8x21 minis and the $20 8x21's. Have used both successfully for route finding and wildlife spotting in the backcountry.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Price of binoculars is basically the quality of the optics. Cheap ones may have distortions, scratch easily, poor image in low light, etc.

Whether the price differential is worth the limitations is a personal choice. I paid over $300 for a pair of 12x50 and was not top of the line. Never regretted paying more for a good pair.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
larry1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by larry1 »

I agree with Paul's statement regarding "good" binoculars. REI has their own brand @ 8x17 for around $80 weighing in about 10oz.in a "compact" size. As with many REI products there is a comparison chart that shows the benefits, features and prices of the binoculars they stock.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

And if you want a plethora of choices, check out Cabelas at:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search/? ... ts&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sticker shock hurts sometimes. I have a 8x25 waterproof from ages ago that i use (13.5oz). field of view of 315 at 1000 yds. I like them, but i don't usually carry them unless hunting. I also have a Redfield widefield 40x spotting scope.

The cabelas pointer will give you a good idea.

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Like lenses for camera's, very good binoculars can run into the thousands, like
Leica's. :\

I don't know if your planning to use these on your future outings, for example
when your scoping out routes on your climbs. If yes, then some with decent
magnification, low weight, and sharpness is of importance in your selection process.

As Rlown pointed out Cabelas has a good selection, as does REI, but Bestbuy, Walmart
and others have them, read the reviews, and shoot for the best you can afford, whatever
you get, don't go for the very low end ones because they are worthless.

Read this article to understand the numbers: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/binoculars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have a fundamental problem with justifying buying binoculars to search for someone who might not even be there. Happy to point at sites that offer them, but still... The search is way questionable because of the lack of evidence.

It's a noble cause, but that's all it is without proof he's in the area.

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This thread is about "Backcountry Binoculars", and not whether there is evidence
to support Matt being in the Minarets, so let's please stay on subject.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the base thread was about Matt and Binocs. What is your point? Or split it.