TR: Dinkey Lakes Wilderness 7/25-7/27 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Dinkey Lakes Wilderness 725-7/27 2014

Post by AlmostThere »

iHartMK wrote:I hope they never fix that road. Let it get rougher and rougher.. til it's 4WD only. Then maybe DLW will be pristine and quiet again. I have been going up there for 25 years now, and every year there is more and more people. We were up there 3 weeks ago and saw 6 different fires burning at night around First & South lakes. The campfire ban was in full effect. If I only had phone reception...
I guess it's true what they say about the Forest.. "Land of Many Abuses"
Only 6?

Slow night....
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

iHarkMK wrote:
We were up there 3 weeks ago and saw 6 different fires burning at night around
First & South lakesThe campfire ban was in full effect. If I only had phone reception...
Did you call the Ranger Station when you got out to report this? I hope you did! The last
thing we need is another major fire in the Sierra. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'd bet most didn't have wilderness permits either, but it should be reported.

Sometimes it's not healthy to approach them at the time of the foul, but sometimes it is. I wouldn't approach there. I'd take a pic of what you saw, and call the ranger station as Mav pointed out. I'd also take a quick pic of the license plates in the parking lot on exit, but that's just me.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

When I first arrived at Swede Lake, I looked around for campsites. I found an established site, but decided against it when I saw a two large fire rings in the same site. One of the rings was built against a backdrop of a large boulder and had a six foot band of recent soot from the ground up the rock face. Call me whatever you want, but I did not want to be associated with that campsite! No respect for the wilderness.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

No, but I should have. As many people go there, I would think the rangers would patrol it more. I don't understand why people can't just abide by the rules. Not having a fire at night isn't that bad. See more stars that way.
Living On Kaweah Time
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

iHartMK wrote:
No, but I should have.
Still can, just give them the dates and the locations, or PM me the dates
and the location and I will call them. If you do decide to call them please
let us know what they say.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Going up to a group of strangers and telling them what to do in the wilderness can have unfortunate consequences. I personally wouldn't confront anyone out there.

I did see one suggestion for that specific scenario that seemed like a decent idea though. If you walk up to the group with a friendly smile and say something like "Hey, I just thought you might want to know that fires are illegal here right now and I just saw a ranger down the trail about a half a mile from here."

That is probably your best bet at actually getting people to put out their fire, and they'll think you are doing them a favor instead of enforcing the rules.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

TR: Dinkey Lakes Wilderness 725-7/27 2014

Post by AlmostThere »

at pear lake I walked down to tell the ranger about the guy peeling a pine tree to feed his twig stove. think I have been in the dinkey ranger station twice reporting illegal fires - they got right on the radio.