Trip advice: out and back, LSA to Lake Reflection

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip advice: out and back, LSA to Lake Reflection

Post by commonloon »

Hi all,

I'm planning on being in the Upper Kern next week (via Shepherd) and I'm thinking about a side trip to Lake Reflection. I'm a level 3 hiker, ok with class 3 stuff, but I will be solo so would prefer to keep it class 2.

My question in short form is how should I do this? Has anyone done this recently? I'm finding several threads related to this. It seems that Harrison Pass has deteriorated(?). Little Joe's Pass or Milly's?

Thanks in advance.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Trip advice: out and back, LSA to Lake Reflection

Post by maverick »

Lucy's Foot, Milly's Foot, Andy's Foot, Little Joe, Ericsson, Harrison, and Thunder
Pass make up the Upper Kern Divide's passes. Forget Andy's, it requires an ice axe,
Thunder is to far to the west, and the northern side's talus field is just plain nasty.
Haven't been over Harrison in several years, so cannot comment on its current
condition, but it would be the easiest of the rest. Lucy's, and especially Milly's
Foot is a little involved on their northern side, and one can get in trouble if you
do not bypass the small cliff on Lucy's northern side, Milly's crux is at the top
where there is about a 100 ft section that requires feet and hands (Class 3). Ericsson
is only a little steeper at the top than Harrison and if Harrison has become damaged,
Ericsson could be a better alternative to it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks Maverick.

I'll probably check out Harrison first since it looks easy from the LSA side and see what it looks like from the top. If looks sketchy then maybe go check out Ericsson or Lucy's, etc.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

A little follow up. I did take a look at Harrison. I really could tell where others had descended. It looked loose and I elected to skip it.

Here a couple of pics in case someone is interested...
harrison1.jpg
harrison2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

So now you have our curiosity peaked... Which way did you go, if you didn't go Harrison?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

I passed on Lake Reflection completely actually. I started to hike over towards Lucy's Foot pass, but it was getting later in the day and I got distracted by the 2 lakes below Ericson ;-)
giantbrookie
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

commonloon wrote:I passed on Lake Reflection completely actually. I started to hike over towards Lucy's Foot pass, but it was getting later in the day and I got distracted by the 2 lakes below Ericson ;-)
If distractions on that side of the divide kept you from crossing over, I can tell you that the same sort of distractions would not be found in Lake Reflection (same type perhaps but much smaller).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I used the eastern edge of Harrison Pass as it was loose but mellow. You'll have to try again, the little valley under Ericsson Crags is one of my favorite places I've ever been. If Harrison Pass was uncomfortable then Millys would definitely be a no-go. Hope you had a great trip!