Shepherd Pass conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Shepherd Pass conditions

Post by Hobbes »

oleander wrote:Not sure I really "get" Option 3, though obviously it worked well for someone.
O/E/L, I think my option 3 has morphed into your option 2. That is, the downhill hiker I described walked along the entire western edge to the point where he could cross straight-over to the 1st switchback.

From your description, it sounds like people are dropping into the ravine itself (rather than walking along the western edge) to/from the 1st switchback.

Either way, I think we're all in agreement that the previous path to the very top of the ravine totally BLOWS. Not only is it a PITA, but it's also potentially dangerous.

PS I now know why Tom K told me in an email that the crossing was no big deal. I had asked him if he taken the high or low road, and he replied high. Now, I know he's a legend and all, but I thought even very experienced people wouldn't shrug off the sucky high ravine path so casually.

Since he mentioned he just followed the cairns, I can now guess that he took the 'high' route as you described it from the 1st switchback, rather than the original "HIGH" route from the point of the washout.

Don't you feel special that you & Mav were among the pioneers traversing the suck ass route? LOL
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

Jim and I took "option 1" on the way down and found it incredibly easy. There is a use trail on both sides that goes uphill about 50 feet, and then there is a use trail that cuts across the washout.

I'd say the washout delayed us 5-10 minutes total and neither of us felt sketched out by any part of it.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I second that. We went one at a time. I used Schmalz as a test dummy. A small detour up slope from the trail, then across. There are ducks on the trailhead side and a use trail beginning to form at the crossing. I made some suggestion to push down a loose rock and his reply was they're all loose.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Jimr wrote:
I used Schmalz as a test dummy.
:D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Hillbasher »

Came down Shepherd Pass trail Thursday late afternoon, August 7th. Had been 2 years since last time down and was looking for areas that had been reported washed out. The only one worth discussing was just below Anval.
Once we hit the ravine, we hiked upwards on a use trail for what I will guess was about 50 to 75 feet. (Not good at estimating) Got down into the ravine and went up it about 15 to 20 feet and then traversed out the downhill side (west side). Dropped down another use trail maybe 75 feet or so to the main trail and continued down to Mahogany.
Tried checking out other ways across but was late afternoon and was very hot and tired. Anyone being careful can make it across, but with future foot travel and weather, can see getting to the other side becoming problematic. Guess I won't be pulling my American Flyer up that trail anytime soon(joke intended).