High Trail-Agnew to 1000 island water situation

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rpb
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

High Trail-Agnew to 1000 island water situation

Post by rpb »

I searched but came up with nothing.

What is the water situation on the high trail from Agnew meadows to 1000 lake in mid/late September? If any, how many streams can be depended on for guaranteed water along the way? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
DesertJones
Topix Novice

Re: High Trail-Agnew to 1000 island water situation

Post by DesertJones »

I remember crossing at least 3 small streams when I hiked this route late last month.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

I hiked it mid sept in 2012 and there was still water every mile or two along the trail. I think the stretch closest to the trailhead is the longest. Might be a bit drier this year.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OregonMike
Topix Newbie

Post by OregonMike »

Hi guys,

First post here, just wanted to comment. I called and spoke with the guys at the welcome center in Mammoth Lakes yesterday to ask specifically about this. He said there is still plenty of water available up there and that it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I'll try to remember to post back here once we get back and let you know what we find. My father and I are doing a 5 day/4 night trip out of Agnew Meadows up into the Ansel Adams Wilderness.

We hit the trail on Monday September 8th and head up shadow creek to Ediza. We'll fart around there for a day or 2, then make our way up to garnet, ruby, emerald, thousand island, etc. Going to take a day or so to explore around there as well. We will probably head up to Island Pass, MAYBE Donahue if we're feeling up for it. It would be just for the view as we wont be descending into Lyle canyon. Then returning on the high trail back to the car on Friday the 12th.

This'll be our first backpacking trip in the Sierras and a return to an area my Dad spent time camping at when he was a kid (June and Convict Lake). Should be a great trip and not too strenuous as we've built in a lot of time to take it easy and explore the area. Just soak it all in.

My only concern is that perhaps we should be doing this route in reverse. Heading up the high trail and down shadow creek. Still on the fence there.. but I think we will go ahead with how we're permitted for. Either way, should be wonderful.

I'll post back once we return with conditions an all, but according to the ranger station, we should be good to go with water.

Cheers!

Mike
Last edited by OregonMike on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the info about the water availability.
Do not what to piggy-back on this thread, so I will send you PM about routes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rpb
Topix Novice

Post by rpb »

Thanks for the info.

Oregon Mike,

I would appreciate it if you did post up after your trip. I have mine planned for the 17th-22nd. As far as your planned route, I do think it is easier (less up hill hiking) to do the high trail to 1000 island lake and loop back on the JMT going from 1000 island to Garnett to Ediza and coming down from Shadow Lake than the opposite but that is just me. I just did 5 days on that loop (except I did the river trail instead of the high trail) back in late June. Have a great trip, it is awesome up there.
hybrid90
Topix Novice

Post by hybrid90 »

I just got back doing the Agnew Meadow > Shadow Creek > Shadow Lake > Ediza > Iceberg > Cecile trail and there's still plenty of water left. Tons of gushing mini falls all up along the creek. Don't think you'll have a problem with water anytime soon.

First time hiking there so not sure of the trail names but I know we didn't hike the High Trail so couldn't tell you the water situation on that trail but all the surrounding trails near the creek have tons of water left.

Have fun and be safe!
stinky
Topix Newbie

Post by stinky »

I was just up that way this past weekend - Agnew Meadows -> High Trail -> TI -> Garnet -> Shadow Creek -> Agnew Meadows and there were at least 3/4 creek crossings on High Trail, though they were mostly shallow and muddy looking. I would be personally hesitant to pump out of them unless I were completely out of water and dehydrated. Not sure how big of water containers you are carrying but my wife and I had a 32oz bottle each when we left, going up hill, and didn't have to refill until we got to Thousand Island.

As far as which direction to take, it was our first time in the area and after coming down Shadow Creek both my wife and I had decided that we were glad we chose High Trail to go up and not Shadow Creek.

Also, not sure what your plans our but we camped at the SW end of TI and went over the easy saddle that separates TI and Garnet and that back western end of Garnet was probably our favorite area of the trip. We spent 2 nights at TI because we weren't sure what to expect at Garnet (plus we wanted to day hike to Catherine Lake) but after seeing the back end of Garnet, we decided next time we wont' even bother with TI and go straight to the back end of Garnet. Creeks, waterfalls, sandy beaches. It's gorgeous back there. But that's all personal preference.

Anyway, long story short I would think that if you filled up at the TI outlet and went down High Trail, you wouldn't really have a need for getting water out of any of the creeks on High Trail, but they're definitely there if necessary.

Hope that helps. And have a great trip...I can see now why the area is so popular and gets so much attention. Well deserved.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Stinky,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for posting this information to help a fellow
HST member. :thumbsup:
Yes, the western end of Garnet is a beautiful area, especially during wildflower
season, that small meadow can be exquisite, unfortunately I have read disheartening
reports that much more people are visiting this once secluded slice of paradise,
just hope the area doesn't get abused, and the next generation of backpackers
will be able to enjoy its beauty too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org