Introducing Mighty Thor, my future trail buddy

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Introducing Mighty Thor, my future trail buddy

Post by calipidder »

Back in March, we welcomed a furry new member into our family, an 8 week old ball of white fuzz and piranha teeth named Thor.

Don't let his adorable smile fool you - lab puppies are hellions.

Tomorrow is his 7 month birthday, and we've spent the spring and summer working on training, manners, and introducing him to the outdoor experiences he'll be seeing a lot more of in the future. Two weeks ago he had his first fishing, hiking, and camping adventure. One day in Little Lakes Valley, the next up at Laurel Lakes.

Learning to swim at June Lake:

Guarding the food from the mean ol' bears

So far he seems to love being out there, and his training is coming along really well. He's reaching the teenager phase where he suddenly seems to forget commands he's known solidly for months, but that's normal. We're constantly working on training as he grows so that by the time he's fully grown and strong enough to begin backpacking and hiking with us, we'll have a well behaved trail buddy.

I can't wait for his first backpacking trip! I've been reading up on old threads here, I need to find some great areas to explore with him!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Introducing Mighty Thor, my future trail buddy

Post by maverick »

What a cute face, just love labs. :)
Thanks for the pictures.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

When my Chocolate lab, Samantha, got to around 30lbs, she decided it would be fun one day to run full on across the living room, by the dining room and hit an over-sized chair that was kitty corner near two walls. She was 2. She leaped up as she reached the chair and solidly punched two holes into the drywall with the chair.

I could swear she grinned at me. :)

Kind of looked like fun, but mom wasn't impressed. :(

Train, train, train. Still, "teenagers" like to have fun!

Nice pics and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of Thor. A very nice addition to the board!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Rebecca,

Mika and Munch say, "Tell the Mighty Thor to not run around all over the place during the first few miles of the trip or he will be very tired by the time camp is set up!" :nod: :D
7 Tired Pups.JPG
Have Fun!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Hahah too cute!
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

I miss our Shawna. (Cancer last year). Can't wait until spring for our new puppy. We took Shawna on her first BP when she was four months up in Twenty lakes.

I am soooo jealous =D>
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

It's great to see pics of other dogs and stories about their adventures. It has been a year since my buddy and hiking pal laker has passed. With our recent move to Twain Harte, it was the perfect time to welcome a new member into our family. Here's our lab Hoover, named after the wilderness and not the vacuum.

We've been working hard with him on obedience training, etc. But at only 13 weeks he's just not ready for the big time yet.

Can't wait to get him out there.

Ladd
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Seems that yellow labs are a popular choice! I've always wanted one, and every minute with this guy is a joy. I love reading stories of beloved trail companions past, and seeing pictures of other upcoming adventure buddies! Maybe someday Thor will have a trail buddy!

That picture of Hoover with the pack is just adorable. I got the same look from Thor when I put his Ruffwear harness on the first time.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I'll chime in with a golden retriever of 17 yrs. Would do ANYTHING asked on/off leash. Was my buddy on first trip to Pyramid Lake fishing (L.A. County) all the way to NY, FL and finally Texas 8 yrs ago. Sporting dogs are #1!
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

There should be a section for backpacking dogs. I just got a Giant Schnauzer I am training for wilderness trips, but this thread seems to be going off topic from OP?