Another HST thread

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Another HST thread

Post by overheadx2 »

If it helps, I come from the beach and usually don't feel good the first day if I push it, but always wake the next AM feeling great since I usually have slept for 10 or more hours.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

+1 on the difficulty of route finding on that xc route. Also Discovery Pass is a slog. I wouldn't recommend either for a first cross country experience.

You need to be on the first shuttle bus from visalia. If you are on the first shuttle, you wont start hiking before 10am. If you catch the 10:15 you will be starting really late. If that isn't an option at all, i guess you will just do the best you can.

Honestly with the difficulty of a shuttle for out of state backpackers, I really don't see the appeal for hiking the HST.

On a side note, I read the trip report Hobbes linked above. In it this guy mentions getting his lighter wet, then begging one off another hiker. I have read on the internet many times where people get a lighter wet, and they think they are screwed.

Lighters dry out people, they dry out. They dry and then they work. Ok carry on.... :)
bro
Topix Novice

Post by bro »

We will be on the 6:15AM shuttle the day of the hike. I was only looking at options to possibly get up to Lodgepole the day before and spend the night near the trailhead to help acclimate to altitude.

We have decided against going x-country to Guitar, still may do the Whitney Creek route, but seems unlikely at this point.
bro
Topix Novice

Post by bro »

We just returned from our hike, and it was fantastic! 9 Lakes Basin and Crabtree Lakes were sublime. The weather was just about perfect, and we were able to hike everything as planned. We even made the summit of Whitney by sunrise! We stuck to the trail for the majority of the trip, the only x-country we did was from Crabtree Ranger Station towards Crabtree Lakes, where we picked up the unmaintained trail about halfway up. Thanks for advice, all.

I plan to write up a trip report, but it will take me a bit to get around to that, probably a few months as I will be pretty busy in the near future.